Can Retrobike membership lead to bike theft?

ive also noticed people posting up their rides with strava on facebook, probley a good idea not to do that if you turn the thing on at your front door

There are many things in life which are a risk. Think having your retro fleet pinched in some kind of Gone in 60 Seconds style hesit is fairly low on that risk scale.

John":3v2f5ijk said:
There are many things in life which are a risk. Think having your retro fleet pinched in some kind of Gone in 60 Seconds style hesit is fairly low on that risk scale.

LOL :LOL:

especially here in australia. the vintage retro mtb scene currently has about 1.5 members here in brisbane.

On Strava you can set a safety zone which blanks out a km radius from your home, office, mistresses' postcode.

spwal":3j3rdh94 said:
Use your office address in all buying and selling everywhere. Thats just good practice. Problem solved. Most employers don't mind when you get personal items delivered.

This is what I do unless I know the seller.

the chances of this happening are very slim, if your paranoid don't use the site, or do what most people would do and secure the hell out of your bike, I use 2 D locks, a cable lock and a padlock and chain for my more expensive bikes and just the D locks and a cable lock when im out and about, if you are really paranoid of your bike being nicked when its at home, get a motion sensor alarm or get a big scary dog :D

I've been a member for about a year now, and I haven't stolen a bike yet! :p

If thieves had the braincells to do all the stuff suggested, they'd be hunting on a car forum, not a retro bike forum. As it is, I think they'd rather just go out with a bolt cutter and leave it up to chance. They could've raided five sheds in the time it takes to track down someone's address!

lumos2000":29h4giy6 said:
ive also noticed people posting up their rides with strava on facebook, probley a good idea not to do that if you turn the thing on at your front door

This is the solution that my group came up with as well. We launch strava at the coffee shop where the ride begins and shut it down at the same place.

The other popular scam involves a group of very well informed "cyclists" who call about Craigslist ads, engaging the seller in conversation about what kind of riding they like and what bikes they own. They then make an appointment to come see a bike but never show. Armed with the seller's address they break in and clean you out. The group mostly targets new expensive bikes they can turn quickly, but retro is growing in popularity.

One of the reasons I decided to get a retro bike was to have something decent without it looking a sitting duck whenever its locked up. A portable grinder or even a big set of bolt cutters will cut through any lock you can buy in a few seconds so if someone really wants it, they'll have it.

I had my gary fisher nicked on mussey hill broadway back in the day, I was gutted!

spatuluk":3ritypjv said:
I've been a member for about a year now, and I haven't stolen a bike yet! :p

Oh you should, it's fun & a great way of getting fitted once NOS parts.

Back