I need gears

The shifter is a SRAM X9 with a different index plate - this one from Zerode, sold in Germany by MRC Trading.

So you'd need a stock shifter and the new plate and you'd be good to go.

Harry,

If your interested, I have a spare nexus 8 hub, that was once fitted to an unused 700c commuter rim on a Schwinn Tailwind, but never actually used. I removed the rim and spokes ages ago, and stored the hub as a spare with a view to building a commuting bike of my own, but with electric power...

However, it would seem that it is now surplus to requirements.

The hub is an SG-8R31, which is the upgraded unit with the double roller clutches and improved sealing arrangements from the Alfine 8 speed. The only real difference then is that the Nexus doesn't directly support disc brakes. The Alfine does, but Nexus had roller brakes in mind. There is a company in Germany that sells a Cnc machined adapter and bearing set that converts the Nexus to 6 bolt disc though, so all is not lost.

The hub comes with the all important cassette joint, anti turn washers, nuts, 18 tooth sprocket, gear cable and the Nexus Revoshifter (twist grip). Its basically brand new, barring a few cosmetic marks left by the original spokes and from having been knocking around in my cupboard for a while. They are nothing serious though.

£85 inc postage for the lot.

Sorry, without reviewing the whole thread what is the current situation? Are you interested in swapping for a geared bike? and if so an MTB or road bike? I would be interested in swapping a Dura ace 9spd or Sram 10spd equipped Giant road bike for your bike, possibly with cash on top. PM me if you're interested

Thanks for the offer GSB...I am still considering/costing my options but appreciate your info and offer.

riddim-track":12bynrhu said:
Sorry, without reviewing the whole thread what is the current situation? Are you interested in swapping for a geared bike? and if so an MTB or road bike? I would be interested in swapping a Dura ace 9spd or Sram 10spd equipped Giant road bike for your bike, possibly with cash on top. PM me if you're interested

Thank you for the offer, I am still rubbing my chin and looking at costs but I am afraid I would not be interested in a road bike...I do not get on with them :oops:

Harryburgundy":3clgalbz said:
Thanks for the offer GSB...I am still considering/costing my options but appreciate your info and offer.

No problem at all Harry. Your bike is a peach, and if all you want are some extra cogs, then an IGH is definitely one of the nest ways to go. my wife's one is brilliant, and my next major build will hopefully incorporate a Rohloff 14 speed IGH. Expensive though...

If you want to take advantage of my offer, then let me know. I honestly doubt you'll find one cheaper than mine, they are about £150 -£180 for a new hub, and im pretty sure I paid over £100 for this one.

If you don't want it, I'll stick in the for sale section, and up on eBay. There's no point in my keeping it any longer, the one in my wife's bike (a Giant ATX full suspension MTB) is bombproof, so there's no real need for spare, and my other intended use is getting a radical redesign and is going to run on a derailleur instead.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks Grant, don't wait for me to make a decision. If it is still around when I decide where I am going with this I will knock on your door
Best
Carl

Harryburgundy":2qhubs11 said:

riddim-track":2qhubs11 said:

Thank you for the offer, I am still rubbing my chin and looking at costs but I am afraid I would not be interested in a road bike...I do not get on with them :oops:

Thanks for the reply, that's a cracking looking bike you have there I'd have been keen to get my paws on it. FWIW if your still torn between keeping it or not I'd hang onto it if I were you. Save up slowly and build a 2nd geared bike if you really need one. Not that you asked my opinion ;)

Back