Help me identify this bike?

AshfordNimbus

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Trying to find the manufacturer of this bike. Unsure of the age, looks like late 50's - early 60's? Very light. 'British Built' and the letters LS on the BB. Has serial numbers on the LH rear dropout, I'll add these soon. Has vertical and horizontal rear dropouts. Seems as though it should have drop bars on it. Has been badly treated in the past!

Is a lovely bike to ride, very smooth and quick. It belongs to my Uncle, and I'm hoping to restore it. Cheers all, Chris.

It looks like a Raleigh symbol - doesn't look original though. The rear dropouts look far to fancy for Raleigh? I'll get a picture.

Had another look at the bike today. It was renovated by Frederick H Pratt, but unsure when. The serial number on it is either 845255 or 843255, as the 3rd digit has had an eyelet crazed over it.

............. Class :)

Needs some extra digging. I worked for Cliff Pratt in Hull (cycle shop), I wonder if it was a Family thing or he moved.

Shaun

The brackets look like those off of a Claud Butler.... but some of the frame details don't seem quite right....

Midlife":1pl7e3q6 said:
............. Class :)

Needs some extra digging. I worked for Cliff Pratt in Hull (cycle shop), I wonder if it was a Family thing or he moved.

Shaun

No ideas at all Shaun!

Jon.

Well, got the go-ahead from my uncle to restore this. Needs a full rebuild, all bearings are shot. I need the tools to undo the BB and remove the cassette. Any links?

Frederick Pratt was Claud Butler's brother in law and advocate of the 'Jack Knife' design of frame. The top eyes and rear dropouts date the frame to the late 1940s or early 1950s.

Back