Uniglide to Hyperglide

Probably you can also buy a cheap 7 speed cassette and butcher it: use its cogs with the spacers from the 6 speed. Not sure the cogs are the same thickness though.

All sprockets are the same, it's the spacers that determine 6,7 or 8 speed (except the smallest one with the threading, which has an integrated spacer. There might be some cassettes where the next smallest sprocket might have an integrated spacer too), So if your smallest cog is allright you can buy any cassette to mix and match using your old spacers as far as I know. DA threading is different I believe so you can't use the smallest cog on that anyway if your freehub is 600.

Ive done this , modified hyperglide cogs to fit uniglide, the slots are different and need a bit of work with a file to modify, its a minute or twos work on each cog you want to change, if you have a vise and can operate a file its a doddle. My LBS let me pick out the needed cogs from a box,
The hardest bit is getting the wee threaded cog off, two chain whips are needed .

Older uniglide and Dura ace hyperglide freehub bodies did not use the current 10 mm allen wrench for removal. It took a special splined tool made only by Shimano, the tool # is TL FH 10. Velo base has a picture on their website, but you will need to find a bike shop that has been around awhile as they only made them for a few years and are almost impossible to find. Good luck.

If you've lost teeth on your cassette it's time to replace the chain too, and here's a thought- get the 6 speed cassette Hamster linked and change/downsize your chainrings at the same time.

New drive and no problems on the hill!

I managed to get a uniglide compatible 6 speed cassette for £20, fitted it with a new chain and then the wheel gave up last week. I saw a wheel for sale with a hyperglide hub but the seller says it is 8 speed. Surely they beauty is that I can put any speed I like on there? But will I require spacers?

yourebarred":2dnxs5el said:
Okay so I took my 6 speed UG freewheel off to clean and saw some missing teeth.
According to Sheldon, you can replace the UG body with HG for more readily available parts.
Has anyone done this? His instructions aren't totally clear..
As a last resort does anyone have any ug 6speed freewheels for sale?

Sorry if this same same quesion but is it possible to re-assemble an exgage hub with a longer axle and a HG 8,9,10 speed freehub body?

The later (8 speed and up) freehub body does not have the UG threading so while your cassette will fit, the top gear / lockring will not. Possibly you could conjure up a fix with spacers and a 7/8/9 speed top gear.The spacers will need to be both behind gear 1 and also between gears 5 and 6.

You can always add a later freehub body to an earlier hub, but you will need to remove left hand side spacers or add a longer axle (with still some fiddling of spacers possibly). Afterwards a re-dish of the wheel will be necessary.

Back