Worlds longest first post.

That doesn't look at all bad as it is. Glad you mentioned the decals because that's the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Shouldn't take much work that.

Naaah, I was on my way to the scrappy to weigh that in when I took the photo, solid ali billet that you know!
That will stay on that seat post with that seat to be used with the tow along, as its not the best look.
Here's the purple, sunglasses at the ready
, :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 496
It looks as though it's a 1997 Kilauea, size 19, although the down tube doesn't appear to have been replaced quite like-for-like.

I'm afraid I haven't read your post, so I don't know what your question is, but just in terms of identifying it, did it look like this before?

I must say I don't like the look of the connection between the left side seat stay and the seat tube - it looks as though it's coming away?

Attachments

• 1997 Kilauea size 17 in fairly original spec.jpg
    1997 Kilauea size 17 in fairly original spec.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 418
Hello and welcome. Great first post and an interesting story. If your first photo is of the bike as it is now then it doesn't look like there is much that needs doing to it.
From re-reading your post it says that this is before you dismantled it though.
If so then just put it all back together.

I'd recommend sticking with most of those parts if they aren't all worn out. Especially the XT rear mech and chainset which will be far superior to Nexave and will still be able to handle a wide range cassette should you wish to fit a new one.
The middle and inner chainrings can be replaced with pretty much any current four arm ring and I'd recommend a new chain at the same time to avoid slipping.

That colour flip reminds me of MrLee's 1997 Lava Dome:

file.php

More here: --> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117024

Anthony, I probably should have made it clearer in my thread that I did know its a 97 Kilauea and your right it is a 19" frame. It did look exactly the same as yours although I don't recall the silver square decal on the seat tube.
With reference to the non like for like repair, please can you give me some dimensions to work with so I can identify the difference between my repair and an origional down tube, both dimensions and location, as I am interested to know now.
The connection between the left side seat stay and seat post is sound, I can only assume the effect is down to the paint.

Ha, thank you Salsprocket, i shall consider myself well and truly helped :D
I welcome all advice and opinions however technical or light hearted they may be.

Thanks for your input drystonepaul that's the decision made regarding the derailleur then, I will clean it up and pop it back on.
I think i will be pinching the XT brakes though.
I am still after fitting the CODA 500 wheels if there's no reason why they won't go on,(including the cassette for ease) mainly from a looks point of view as they are both the same colour for a start!
Are they better or worse spec, out of interest?
I want to fit just the one ring at the front as I don't tend to use the other two and also the trigger shifter is broken so I may as well just do away with it altogether.
Can anyone suggest exactly what sprocket etc I would need to achieve this please?
I know what you mean about the green colour, its not a million miles away at all, and thanks for the tip about a new chain, that's saved me from potentially wondering what the hell I had done wrong!

Back