Vitus 979 re-build

ChristoperM

Retro Newbie
Hello

Here’s one for all the forty-somethings out there…

This is my almost finished (are they ever really finished?) rebuild of my old Vitus 979 from the late 1980s/early 1990s. It’s been built for regular riding and I’m pleased with the result.

It’s basically a Shimano equipped version using a mix of period correct parts (mostly 600 Ultegra Tri Color). The rims are 32H Mavic MA40s and the bar and stem are Cinelli. The tyres are period Hutchinson and very narrow! I have some unused tan wall Specialized Turbo S tyres for future fitting.

It’s shown here with a new narrow Brooks saddle (the only brand new part aside from the Cinelli cork bar tape, cables and the inner tubes!), but I also have a nice old Selle Italia Super Turbo saddle.

I couldn’t resist the KAS stickers (despite the non-Mavic build)…

OK, I know it’s not the most original re-build project but it’s back on the road and an ambition fulfilled for me.

Anyway if you have an old Vitus 979 gathering dust somewhere, get it back on the road, pull on your old KAS jersey and be a weekend Sean Kelly!

Attachments

• DSCF4947.JPG
    DSCF4947.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 969
Thats a nice looking bit of kit.

The old retro style bikes have so much more character than modern offerings.

Thanks for the comments. During the re-build I admit I worried that the end result wouldn’t meet my recollection of how good the bike rode the first time around. Also, things have moved on quite a lot since the 1980s! Materials, components and design are of course constantly improving. But in all honesty, in terms of the riding experience, it’s even better than I dared to hope for. It’s still a lively feeling but comfortable machine that makes you want to ride fast.

Although it’s not my only bike, I always planned to use it regularly so I opted for a Shimano based build which I feel comfortable using without fretting too much. If I went for Campagnolo (quite a bit more costly) or Mavic (rarity – too special to use?) I suspect it would spend too much time tucked up in the garage and not on the road.

Anyway, I already had the frame, fork, headset, seatpost, tyres and pedals. Everything else I bought as good used or NOS condition. Although it’s mostly Ultegra Tri Color, I have dropped down the Shimano range in a couple of areas. Some parts I paid too much for (chainset & bottom bracket) and some were good buys (wheels, bar & stem).

I reckon I’ve spent £450 (excluding the Brooks saddle). That’s not far off enough to buy a brand new entry level road bike from one of the big name brands.

The only problem I have is that now it’s basically finished, I want to do another one…and probably another one after that….oh dear.

Back