1993 Kona Kilauea Restoration

KonaJon

Dirt Disciple
Over the next few weeks (maybe months!) I will be restoring my Kona Kilauea from 1993,and hope to capture the whole process on this forum.
My bike has been a labour of love from the day I bought it back in summer 93. It has seen quite a lot of action being ridden in the National Points Series, Karrimor and even a UCI World Cup event.
Over the years, nearly all the components have been replaced, and the frame is the only remaining original part of the bike.

The current spec is:

Frame - 1993 Kona Kilauea Tange Prestige Concept
Forks - Rock Shox Psylo XC 80-125mm
Front wheel - Mavic M231 rim with Shimano Deore XT Parralax hub. WTB Velociraptor 26x2.1 tyre. Deore XT QR skewer
Rear wheel - Mavic 117 SUP CD with Hope Titanium hub. WTB Velociraptor 26x2.1 tyre. Shimano skewer.
Cassette - 8 Speed shimano
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
Cranks - Sugino Fuse XD500
Chainwheels - Sugino Super Shifter Pro 46/36/24
Pedals - Shimano Deore XT SPD
Brakes - Shimano Deore XT V-Brake
Headset - FSA Orbit
Stem - Titec black
Bars - Azonic World Force riser bars
Grips - Yeti black
Brake levers - Shimano servo-wave action
Shifters - Shimano STX RC rapidfire
Bottom Bracket - Shimano cartridge
Seat post - Race Face Prodigy
Saddle - X-Lite Kevlar

I am looking to clean up, restore and re-use most components but will re-new stuff that is shot.
Pics of the bike as is will follow soon

Welcome to the forum Jon :D

Look forward to seeing this. I loved the fade paint jobs on the 93's :cool:

All component bits stripped off the bike and labelled in bags

Frame and forks now ready to take to the local bike shop (Cycle Sense in Tadcaster) for bottom bracket and headset race removal.
Going to take my time to de-grease and thoroughly clean all existing parts to check whether they can go back on the bike.

Bob Jackson cycles in Leeds is the choice for a full frame and forks respray - just don't know what colour yet.....either the original deep red into silver....OR.....i like the thought of brilliant white frame and fork legs. All original decals will be sourced from the internet

Nice project and welcome :)

Please don't go down the white route though, it would be ace to see this in it's original colour scheme - in my opinion the best looking one in the '93 lineup (although the dark bluey green (?) into silver on the explosive was a close second). I remember thumbing the Mbi review of this, very pleased with it they were too...

For decals look no further that gil_m on here, I'm sure he will have 'em on file. You can also source almost all the parts amongst the site for an OEM build if you wanted to have a crack, with a little patience. The only items that will be really hard to find would be the 399 rims, tyres, saddle and grips - but anyway, everybody swapped stuff like that out back in the day...It's good to see that you still have the sugino chainset.

I'll keep an eye on this as it develops ;)

Cheers Mynchiboy, I am actually on my second sugino chainset!
I am very unsure with the colour scheme, would love to do it in the original colours but as I am not sourcing all original components I thought I'd do something different.

Thanks for the advice regarding the decals, I'll definitely look up gil_m for original stickers!

Just dropped the frame off at Cycle Sense in Tadcaster for headset race and bottom bracket removal. Will pick it up tomorrow.
The bottom race of the headset was pretty ugly really, hardly any grease in it and very rusty - looks like a new headset will be needed.

Got the frame back from Cycle Sense and is now completely naked!
Just need to clean it up a bit and then it's off to Bob Jackson cycles in Leeds for the respray but not until September when I've got some cash!

Still unsure about colours - original burgandy fading into silver (original) or pearl white with 1994 decals (thought that would look cool?!?)

White Kona's always look good but you will get quite a lot of negative, or perhaps 'meh' comments just because it's been done so many times before. Bottom line is, it's your bike so do as you see fit :D

Latest posts

Back