end of the 29er era (fad) ?

it will be interesting to see what Trek and Specialized do. Particularly as they seem to suggest that 29ers are the be all and end all of mountain biking.

Maybe we could end up with a HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray situation.

Were the public refused to buy any in great number, until one clear winner emerged.

Because they didn't want to end up with the wrong obsolete technology, like Beta-max.

I'm lucky enough to have been testing lots of new bikes recently, both 29 and 650b.
The main thing to remember there are good bikes and bad bikes in both sizes, some 29ers feel like ocean liners, big and heavy and some feel very similar to 26" bikes.
There's talk the industry will settle down as 29 for cross country and trail use with all mountain,and down hill opting for 650b. There's lots of great bikes out at the moment and not only choosing a brand but wheel size too is a pain in the arse ! If I had my way I would have one of each ( wheel sizes) but as most people I can only choose one, I'm still unsure which would suit me the best!

It must be putting off sales. All the local bikes shops I frequent say that they hardly shift any mountain bikes as it is as everyone has moved to road bikes, and the fuss over new wheel sizes must put a lot of people off (me and a few others above for starters).

Sure the newcomers (and they're very welcome) will buy whatever seems best or they are persuaded to, but most of us have a vested interest in 26. Until everything clearly settles down it will take a lot to move wholeheartedly to one camp, especially as Giant, the biggest manufacturer, admit to now looking to phase out 29ers before most people have jumped on board.

I don't buy the argument that wheels sizes = better for everyone as there is choice as the swapability factor is removed if you have different wheel sizes for different tasks. And manufacturers make what is demanded, and if all new stock is 650b or 29 then there is a danger that you wont see great 26 kit available in the future.

Anyway, I'm sticking with what I have and am not looking for anything new, but if I was I would still be sitting on my hands until there is a clearer direction.

brocklanders023":2lcww4uo said:
What was the 5 RS like Chilli?

Edd,

The Five RS is a great bike, yes it has bigger 650B wheels, but when your on it, its reassuringly and Orange and feels very much like the 26". It amazingly weights 28lbs, my 1x10 26" Five weighs 31lbs). It climbs very well, more so than the Carbon Stereo in my eyes. The decals aren't really to my taste but they don't effect the ride! Im also not a fan of the Avid brakes which arnt as sharp as XT ones and feel more plastic(y). Before riding one I was also not a fan of the Sram kit, but I must say the 1x11 performance was flawless.The Rockshox Pike forks are really good, I think they are 150mm (rear being 140).

Interestingly the RS frame (initial run of 50) comes with a Stealth Reverb with internal guiding which cleans the lines up nicely , production bikes and frames I believe are coming with the usual external guides. There is also a bolt on hanger for the front mech, though the RS doesn't have one.

To summarise , its lighter and a better climber than the Five, it is just as much fun and very nimble on tight techy runs and I was (according to Strava) quicker, even though I spent the next couple of days trying to match my times on my 2012 Five. Am I going to buy one ? A strong chance indeed :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 164
Really fancy a 650b 5 but can't blow the cash with my first baby on the way. Once our lass goes back to work I'll be straight to the shop though! :LOL:

Think a second hand Gyro will have to do for now.

brocklanders023":1jv0ub2p said:
Really fancy a 650b 5 but can't blow the cash with my first baby on the way. Once our lass goes back to work I'll be straight to the shop though! :LOL:

Think a second hand Gyro will have to do for now.

I think the none RS version of the 650 will be available starting from £2.5K

Back