Educate me on the wonders of 29ers!

It'll happen. I work in th industry, if only peripherally, and I'm still not seeing many about, even among those spending big moolah. I'm not the only person I know who's dipped the toe, been unconvinced and then gone back.

The industry is very US-centric though, and it seems that everyone and their dog has a 29er over there. Or is that just the demographic I see?

Nothing to suggest 650b wont start selling massively in US now though. People can only buy whats offered to them.

The argument that it id established as 29ers have won xc titles means little when riders continue to do so on 26 and 650b as well.

Im just glad I dont need to buy a new bike. My next new bike will probably be in 2 years time so I hope the wheel debate has settled by then!

At the end of the day I see it like this....my retro rides, well my Team Marin, is for life it is what it is and for the time it was made it was/is sweet....My modern rides?....well if I need to change them every few years then so be it! But for now I have ridden a 29er and liked it disregarding any hype and sales pitch it just worked for me...just as a full suss worked for me in the past etc etc I see no harm in evolving I believe in Darwin not Religion! (cue back lash!)

Fair enough. I tend to keep my bikes for a while and anyone else similar has a tough decision. If nothing else for part x value or re-sale value.

Everyone seems to forget the 24" wheel hype around the late 90s. Remember it being prototypes if not actually used for main downhill teams.

Just to repeat that I've no experience of 29er but I really want to try one. Just think the debate on wheel sizes does harm sales. I've a modern 26" I love, but newbies wanting to spend some cash or people upgrading must have a dilema.

...well I'm going to give a 29er a go! Pic this fella up on Weds...Carbon Marin CXR Team 29er...full XTR, Bontrager RXL Wheels and weighing in around 22lbs. Better pics and a ride report will be forthcoming...

Attachments

• marin team carbon.jpg
    marin team carbon.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 221
Back