My kids RD Tourney is shot, can I use LX RD?

Hi bounty. You may want to keep an eye out for some 7 speed stx shifters. I may be wrong but 7 speed lx only came as a combo shifter for cantilevers thinking m563. It then went 8 speed for the later lx separates and v specific combos.

Stx mc40? 7 speed shifters are decent quality shifters nice and smooth for easy clicking for kids.

Some of shimanos later 7 speed shifters were of much lower quality acera may be ok, but some of the later 7 speed v specific combo offerings were hideous.

You can just limit the throw of the mech and negate the 8th click on the lx seperates but that solution bothers me for no good reason

There is a good reason... The spacing on 8 speed is 4.8mm, for 7 it is 5.0mm. Therefore running 8 speed shifters will cause misalignment and rattly gears. There are some who will argue that you can adjust and get away with it, but it is still sub-optimal.

OK, that´s a good reason for not putting on the LX shifters :)

Any good 7-speed sti-shifters that would fit?

/J

Check out acera m310 bonty. I still think you are better of with retro 7speed stx separates or even the acera. The problem with the combo sti shifters is the reach to the lever. I know my boy struggled on his first 24 inch mob due to the reach to the lever. Modern 7 speed sti are not true triggers IMO as the down shift trigger is clunky and above the brake lever. I'm not sure how much lever adjust there is either if any

With separates you can use a lever with plenty of adjustment and also have the shifter close to the grip for kids stubby thumbs

If your boy has freaky big strong hands ignore the above

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Alright, quick update :)

I put on the rear mech, that turned out to be XT.
I also put on a new Sram chain.
It turned out ok :mrgreen:

Next step is finding some nice shifters.
Thanx everybody for helping out :D
/J

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah, that was my thought as well, so I bought one. Got it to work pretty good.
Close enough for jazz, anyways :D

But I got a threaded flywheel instead of a cassette. But it has to be said that the Shimano original replacement flywheel was somewhat heavier...
/J

Back