Tiny Kona Explosif - DONE!

Anthony":19haklf9 said:
Nice-looking bike there Martin. It's actually a 98 frame, not 99, so a slightly higher quality as it has Reynolds stays as opposed to the generic stays on the 99 frame.

Design-wise, I would expect it to have super-fast or twitchy handling, with the Indy and such a short stem. I would suggest a red 99 SID XC as a better alternative - a better fork and usefully longer to bring the handling back within normal bounds. Unless your wife likes super-twitchy handling of course!
Why would it be twitchy? These came with 415mm forks, did they not, and the forks on there at the moment appear to be pretty long travel. I don't think you'ld want them any longer.
The saddle is pretty layed back though, so fitting a slightly longer stem and sliding the saddle forward should help the balance somewhat.
The last of the proper Explosifs; Nice!

I agree that the forks will be about the right length. Forks of that era were pretty short; 60 to 80mm were the norm.

A short stem will improve the handling, not make it worse.

Mindmap3":4cg09l29 said:
I agree that the forks will be about the right length. Forks of that era were pretty short; 60 to 80mm were the norm.

Not if it pushes the body weight too far back.

suburbanreuben":2ro8aihf said:
Mindmap3":2ro8aihf said:

Not if it pushes the body weight too far back.

Which is normally off set by some wider bars. Keeps weight forward but slows down the steering.

Assuming that the bike is the right size, being dinky a shorter stem would be the way to go. Everything sized in proportion etc.

Back