1987 Suntour XC 9000 groupset. ALL SORTED

Re: Suntour XC 9000 (NOS or very close)

I've accumulated quite a few now and interestingly :? some (the middle three) have a far larger pivot ID than the XC sport (LHS) and the other XC9000 set (RHS). Any ideas why these would be so different? They both have a CG mark which means they were made in July (G) 1986 (C) but there’s no reference in the catalogue to say they were available to fit different sized pivot studs. The ID is a shade under 11mm whereas the others are under 9mm.

Attachments

• untitled_2.jpg
    untitled_2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 609
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 609
  • Roller cams.JPG
    Roller cams.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 609

I am guessing.....but could they be front and rear specific ? The front mounting on normal canti studs (but obviously brazed further up the forks)

Maybe, but you often see roller cams fitted on the chain stays and I thought they used the same stud as a U-brake, which have an OD of 8.9mm. It’s an odd one… but I’m on the hunt for another set with the smaller ID as these should fit the Brake-Stuff studs I have on order http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=262998

Ah, so the big ones are much larger than standard U brake studs......in which case...you've got me. :(

Swede":25mhjmbb said:
Maybe, but you often see roller cams fitted on the chain stays and I thought they used the same stud as a U-brake, which have an OD of 8.9mm. It’s an odd one… but I’m on the hunt for another set with the smaller ID as these should fit the Brake-Stuff studs I have on order http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=262998

Re: Suntour XC 9000 (I'll now consider anything!)

Still looking for shifters, roller cams and some guidance/advice on the front mech (I've changed the title to reflect this).

Can't be much help I'm afraid _ i've been looking for a 31.8 front mech for an age and never found one either.

there's a chap on ebay in greece who's got NOS xcpro ( i bought a 34.9 from him) in 31.8.

This site has some catalogue pages in japanese but with roller brake part numbers

http://cyclespeugeot.web.fc2.com/catalo ... 88_09l.jpg

good will hunting
And

Found the answer to the large and small ID roller cams... Picked up another brake from Roly the other day and one arm has the small ID but the other arm is the large ID version but it came with a sleeve that fits inside the brass tube which effectively reduces the ID so that it can fit on a U-brake/roller cam brake pivot. Why they did this I've no idea but the side profiles are different (see picture).

Anyway after all that I'm still missing bits to make a whole set, so if you have a broken one let me know as I need to cannibalise it!

Attachments

• Roller cam with large ID.jpg
    Roller cam with large ID.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 365

Swede":2wwwq0md said:
Found the answer to the large and small ID roller cams... Picked up another brake from Roly the other day and one arm has the small ID but the other arm is the large ID version but it came with a sleeve that fits inside the brass tube which effectively reduces the ID so that it can fit on a U-brake/roller cam brake pivot. Why they did this I've no idea but the side profiles are different (see picture).

Anyway after all that I'm still missing bits to make a whole set, so if you have a broken one let me know as I need to cannibalise it!

I think the idea of the sleeve is that when fitted, the brass bush is only in contact with the sleeve and not the studs on the frame. That way. the studs on the frame never have any wear on them. Same idea is used on various dia-compe cantis.

Cheers,
Andrew

andyz":2clofdzm said:
Swede":2clofdzm said:

I think the idea of the sleeve is that when fitted, the brass bush is only in contact with the sleeve and not the studs on the frame. That way. the studs on the frame never have any wear on them. Same idea is used on various dia-compe cantis.

Cheers,
Andrew

I guess that's the best theory so far but you would have thought that this variant would have come about in time i.e. though continuous improvement but both were made in July ’86 (CG casting), so they were available at the same time, which is puzzling.

Back