Cyclist v Cyclist collision (on road)

Police were fully prepared to prosecute for criminal damage and/or causing harm by wanton or furious cycling (offences against the persons act 1861), but what made me opt for the community resolution was the lad was not previously known to Police (a rarity on that estate) and once he realised the gravity of the situation he was completely apologetic and in conjunction with parents were more than prepared to put things right. Had I been more seriously injured and more seriously out of pocket, and had the lad not realised the error of his ways then this would have panned out very differently I am sure. To me the massive gap in the law in this situation leaves cyclists unnecessarily vulnerable and exposed to serious physical and financial harm with limited course of redress, I have made representations to my local politicians to such effect but don't hold out much hope. If one is unfortunate enough to be in a similar situation I would advise being 'assertive' about what you want the Police to do as options are available, but camera footage is near essential for anything to happen.

All credit to you for making something positive out of it rather than just being vindictive. I used to help out at a school in Millbrook and did a little mentoring of some of the kids there. Many have extremely chaotic family backgrounds and few people to show them the straight and narrow...

just a quick post to thank retrocomeback for sharing the details on this, I have certainly learned a few things and glad all sorted

Latest posts

Back