ROCKY MOUNTAIN SUZI Q.

What to do?

• 1. Leave as is...............wall art

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • 2. Build up as show bike. but never ridden.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 3. Repair,Build and Ride.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
raidan73":2czvdc9s said:
that obviously means a bit of damage to that iconic paintwork :?
Umm, that's a slight understatement, given that the crack runs all the way around the seat tube, through the middle of a bottle cage boss and most of the way round the drive side chain stay. It would also appear there is a second crack where the seat tube meets the bottom bracket.

In effect the bottom part of the seat tube is only connected to the rest of the frame because it is being held in place by the tubes around it.

Repair all that, and you could end up with a rideable frame, what you won't have any longer is an original Suzi Q

CATCH - 22

NeilM":o3hbkfcn said:
Ask yourself this; would you ride any other bike that has a seat tube snapped and the drive side chainstay also snapped.

If the answer is yes, then build it, and then check yourself into the local psychiatric department.

That frame is wall art, end of.

a great man once said.............. :LOL:

Very nicely understated, and it's great that it's a rider, as a bike that's never ridden is like a painting that never seen...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=253969&hilit=brodie

what appears to be a crack at the bottom bracket shell is just glare in the picture.
all is good in that area.

not much support for repairing this frame. is that more because of what it is?
or because you don't think it's possible?
roc believes because of the design flaw it will just crack again where fixed.
roy

roc believes because of the design flaw it will just crack again where fixed.

Yep! There is a reason behind the fact that pretty well every other E-stay out there is braced between the chain/seat tube interface and the down tube, or designed so the downtube meets that junction, with another tube running down to the bottom bracket shell. On top of that, there's the re-welding and fatigue issues with alumium.

As others have said you would be nuts to ride that.. I use aluminium cargo bikes for work that are prone to cracking under heavy use, so I've learnt a little about welding alloy, and that's as bad as it gets.

To repair that effectively would involve some serious reinforcement to say the least. The material will also be weaker from the work so as your man says, it will probably fail again in the same area. Then there is of course the repaint.

It's a flawed design, but very cool and of course super rare. Hang it up.. ;)

The artwork is great, everything else about it wreaks of an engineering disaster, I would use it as wall art, with a nice big sign under it- "How not to build a bike" Even the welds look really bad quality.
If it didn't say Rocky Mountain on it, no one would give it a second glance. :facepalm:

I have a feeling that this thread made some other Suzi Q owners have a careful look at their seat tube :D

Back