Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

Calm down dears, its only a you eddy. It was mine but as WD said, the stars aligned and I ended up with a lovely set of wheels for my sts in return.

The frame is in good shape and yes, it has had the obligatory seat tube replacement but not in the original size or welding style. I contemplated having it returned to the correct spec but after posting on here, advised to just ride it. Other builds floated my boat more so it gathered dust, so the plans WD has for it will mean it will be looked after, and most importantly ridden.

I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of his labour, and thanks to him, have been labouring myself and almost have an STS built and ready to roll. Thanks to NeilM too for the frame as well.

Just popped into my head, mod the decals as well - 'yo meddly'

I think I will paint it brown, add yellow ano and badge it as a Marmite bike ... :LOL:

the_duke":2h8e8bmw said:
Do you think you will use classic parts or will there be more modern stuff to match the brakes?

Not decided yet ... :?

I raided my (small) parts bin and only have the following bits that 'might' be suitable :

The seat is defo going on, its very good condition and period correct :cool:

If I stay with ahead, one of the Zooka's will defo go on (re anodised to suit). Both stems have been checked, one face plate replaced (new item) and one clamp assembly replaced (new item). Clamps will be staying black (only just done) and logo's will be black. Top caps are new but will be re anodised to match the stem. Bolts are new Ti (from my stash) but I need new Ti clamp and top cap bolts.

If I go threaded, NOS M900 headset will go on :D

Purple ano will probably be my choice of colour so those bits will probably stay ;) :cool:

Pink cage ? We will see ... :LOL:

Iv'e also got a couple of near new Furious Fred evo's which might get used ?

I got a jersey with the frame in very good condition but it's just a little tight ... :oops: :LOL:

It's up for a swap here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=266525

I am looking for another Fat Chance jersey, I am flexible on the design and sleeve length (although I would prefer short sleeves), it just needs to be bigger than this one !

This is in very, very good condition - one small pluck only (picture further down) :

The pluck :

The size :

So what have you got ? :cool:

I also got some gloves, but they fit fine ;)

WD :D

Oooh, this'll be interesting. Don't see any fuss over modding an already odded Yo either. I'd be tempted to keep the canti mounts and bridge and just take off the bosses, but its your bike. The Ringle stem will suit it perfectly...and nice fork too !

my 2p

first of all WD builds are always cool, i have no doubt that this will be any different. i don't mind people modding frames, after all, it's his frame not ours. also i liked Dr S' retromod Yo but that frame he got as a wreck.

that said i sort of don't get it, and by that i mean that the frame is basically fine, ok it's been repaired and repainted at some point and i assume you paid a reasonable price for it, add the costs of the refurb to what you want must be quite a bill.

so this (for me) begs the question why not have someone build you a retro geometry frame/fork as you want it and flog this Yo on to someone else who would build it without mods, this would get you the frame you want with in my opinion alot less hassle.

for the record i don't mean any of the above comments negatively, so please don't take them the wrong way, i just find it a little confusing.

either way i'm sure it will end up as a nice rideable build
:)

jonnyboy666":295qnrd1 said:
so this (for me) begs the question why not have someone build you a retro geometry frame/fork as you want it and flog this Yo on to someone else who would build it without mods, this would get you the frame you want with in my opinion alot less hassle.
As someone who has just spent a couple of bob having a CATS WISKAS frame repaired, I feel reasonably well qualified to answer that.... COST.

Look at the price of a new frame and forks from any of the many framebuilders now in operation, and you'd be very lucky to walk away with any change from £1,500. Nuff sed.

I think NeilM's post sums it up quite well …

I was very happy with the price I ‘paid’ for the frame – it only cost me postage as it was traded for a set of wheels I had been sat on for a while. The deal suited both parties as we both got something we were interested in for something that we weren’t using and weren’t interested in :cool:

Yes, the wheels cost me money originally but that cost has long been forgotten about, kind of like clearing your loft or garage out and selling the old stuff off to fund new … :LOL:

The frame / fork will cost me a lot less than the price mentioned above to have it looking like new and to a spec that I want :D

I would go as far as estimating the full bike will be built for similar (hopefully less) than the figure quoted above …

When you consider how long my builds take, it’s actually quite a low monthly outgoing … :oops: :LOL: Much less than going out on the p1ss every Friday, or being a smoker etc :LOL: I don’t do either ... ;-)

Also consider that this is a hobby and something I get great pleasure from. Whilst handing over £1500 to a frame builder would get me a very nice frame, (from my point of view) it would lack the satisfaction and pride you get from restoring / repairing something old with a bit of history (with the bonus of spreading the costs over a period of time).

WD :D

Also a new build won't be a Fat and entitled to wear the incredibly cool 'Yo Eddy' graphics, it just wouldn't be the same

By the way, to 'beg the question' is to do something naughty like tuck an assertion inside a question, not to prompt or raise a question...

An example would be 'Why are so many unacceptable mods carried out to frames by RBers?'

I just pretended it was accepted truth that the mods are not acceptable, which is in fact debatable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

It's such a common misuse it's almost become the evolved usage of the term - a 'lingomod' of you will

Kind of ironic eh?

- Wikipedia, it's the king of sources:)

Back