Can Retrobike membership lead to bike theft?

I'd suggest that a healthy level of paranoia is appropriate for all of your Internet activities. Not using your real name, putting up traceable details are all good practices, if I'm honest with my retrobike I'd be more concerned they were stolen and sold on for a pittance and became pub-bikes. At least if the thieves tracked the bike through RB they'd try to get what they are worth with a nice obvious add that one of us might spot.

The tale of the raleigh 853 that was recovered thanks to retro bikers is a great example of how we jointly address this type of problem.

I leave my modern cheap carbon bike as a honey-pot to avoid loss of my old steel bike!

Good point, as above pays to not give too much away. Also suspect it's more likely to be someone local who nicks your bike or stumbles across your shed.

Talked to local plod after having bike nicked they reckon bike thieves aren't too bright and will just see Marin/GT/Kona and think 'They're expensive, I'll have that' rather than necessarily knowing if it's new/old hi-spec/low-spec.

1. Postal address,
This is why all my sales get sent to work (that and they stay under the radar of the fun police ;-) )

2. Can membership lead to theft?
Only if you are stupid to leave a bunch of breadcrumbs for someone to pick up on

G

Use your office address in all buying and selling everywhere. Thats just good practice. Problem solved. Most employers don't mind when you get personal items delivered.

spwal":2rzc2vkf said:
Use your office address in all buying and selling everywhere. Thats just good practice. Problem solved. Most employers don't mind when you get personal items delivered.

I work from home!

Use a relatives address on outgoing?

Incoming I dunno...local postal box?

I think these precautions are important...especially in my neighborhood.

BobCatMax":2m229x89 said:
you are far more likely to be put at risk by people watching you leave your house with any number of the bikes you own. It just takes one dodgy neighbour...
Have to agree with that ; a friend was followed home on his very very nice bike ; 2 nights later somebody tried to break in to his flat ( secure ) and then his shed ( not secure but no bikes in it ). So it doesn't even take one dodgy neighbour...that said I don't worry at all about getting robbed by anyone on here ; if there was anyone so sneaky and dishonest to act like that I'm sure they would have been outed by now E.g:
Do business with someone we will call "Captain Tea-Leaf" for example.
Get cyber-stalked.
Get robbed.
Post it up here.
Other members respond "Hey I just dealt with that guy and I got robbed also!".
Banhammer ; and public flogging follows.

Not seen any threads like that ; and hope not to. Not saying it couldn't happen ; but I do think it is pretty unlikely.

All possible but not likely.

If you work from home or can't get stuff delivered at work, all you have to do is buy another property using a false ID (relatively easy if you vaguely remember how he did it in Day of the Jackal) and get stuff sent to the neighbour of that address (don't tell the neighbour your real name, but use a similar initial so you don't forget. Wear a hat.)

For those who can't afford a second property, you can always marry another lady on the other side of town and shack up therein (don't forget to keep the two families separate though, otherwise face awkward questions! (Top tip: use the first family address for the Xmas pressies of the second family, and vice versa - although use different wrapping paper in case you give the wrong perfume to the wrong wife. It can happen!)

Simples.

spwal":lx697d98 said:
Use your office address ...... Most employers don't mind when you get personal items delivered.

Not in my experience ! Tho I have worked places were we could send parcels on the office account at cost.

Back