Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

^^^How pompous is that?^^^

'Officially' ruined? Official? Is there some sort of giant registry of ruination??? Of which you are the grand arbiter!

Actually, I think you'll find this frame and fork are being modified to the requirements of someone who will actually use it

Someone who has a track record of well thought out, tastefully executed mods to his projects

So don't go attempting to steam roller your narrow opinion across everybody. Thanks

A word of caution on the forks.

On my recent CATS WISKAS build, I asked Argos if they could put a disc mount on a pair of RC 30 legs, they declined, saying they had never tested that combination. So I asked if they would build a pair of their own straight legged mtb forks with disc mount, again they declined for the same reasons.

Now I understand they may seem a little over cautious, but they have been building and repairing frames and forks for a fair few years and I respected their judgement, so for the moment the CATS is wearing a pair of Exotic carbon forks, painted to match the frame.

With a bit of luck, your framebuilder will be happy to install a disc mount for you.

As for modifying a 90's frame... why not?

It's not as if it is the only one of it's kind, and as the frame had already had a new seat tube put in then it was hardly unmolested either.

If I only rode factory specification bikes....... I wouldn't have any bikes to ride at all.

Vive la difference!

rumpfy":ift3y0gu said:
Adding disc brake tabs and shaving canti hangers to a 92 Yo Eddy. Bike officially ruined.

I never understood this. Just get a modern bike.

It's already not original due to the brazed seat tube it's had fitted so what is going to happen is not really anything different to what's already been done.

If it was a original un molested frame with a BOI or a YO fork it would be different.

WD Pro":3b57w7qy said:
Remove canti bridge.
Partly remove cable guides.
Silver solder dints.
Add rear brake pipe guides.
Dress sharp edges / chain suck etc.
Add chain stay anti chain suck bosses.[/color]
Replace seat tube.
Add slot strengthener.
Position clamp slot in front.
No seat clamp tag.
Add seat tube bottle bosses.
Add front mech roller boss.
Add disk mount.
Add disk mount brace.
Repaint with new decals.

disappointing :( I just don't get it!!!

Great respect for your craftsmanship but please don't do it ...not with this frame.
The seat tube can be easily repaired and then you have a beautiful Yo Eddy frame....

Might be easier to get a more modern frame. Why go through all that trouble and expense trying to make it something it's not?

Everyone chill ... :LOL:

I did wonder ... and it hasn't seen the grinder yet ... :LOL:

I might have thought differently but :

* It's frames already been butchered / messed with.
* It's not wearing it's original paint.
* It's not got it's original fork - and it wont be getting one, to expensive for me ... !

Everything I am doing can be undone - for the same money that it would cost me to get it 'right' if I started puting it 'right' now ;) Maybe even a future rebuild ... In Aqua just to be different ... :LOL:

I am even thinking of de brazing the triple cable stops and putting on new doubles so it they (the tripples) can be replaced at some point in future if I desire. Hose guides will be brazed so easily removed. Disk mount and brace will be easy to remove. Canti bridge will be removed carefully and retained. The only problem will be the bosses but, at a push, I could remake the mounts to original dimensions and to fit the original studs and washers (they will be retained).

I want a classic steel bike, in silly colours, built well without worrying about wearing out period correct / rare items - gritty rims, cracking moby posts etc

I didn't look for this frame, it found me out of the blue. In my life I belive things hapen for a reason, sort themselves out and end up for the best - I just hope eddy agrees with me ... :LOL: :cool:

WD :D

ps : @ NeilM - point taken on forks. Had quite a good conversation with the frame builder. He will do it, at my risk. It wont have huge disks so I think I might go for it ...

Those forks look very nice under that black paint!

I think the discs will be cool, it's not like it's some mega rare historically important frame. I wouldn't think adding braking power will ruin a frame...... :LOL:

Do you think you will use classic parts or will there be more modern stuff to match the brakes?

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, I know of much more rare and in some cases unique frames that have had extensive work done to them and no one had said a word.

The frame is made of steel, therefore there is nothing that is proposed that a skilled frame builder could not reverse, so that after a decent coat of paint, one would be the wiser.

Lighten up Yo Eddy fanatics, it is just a bike frame, and once done it will be ridden and enjoyed.

Isn't that what it's all about?

NeilM":3v4yn8g9 said:
I really don't see what all the fuss is about, I know of much more rare and in some cases unique frames that have had extensive work done to them and no one had said a word

Exactly.I'm all up for things like this, if it's nicely executed (which it will be).

As for Fats, the now departed Dr S completed a very well executed Yo restomod a couple of years back, that didn't seem to upset anybody either...

Attachments

• 4702134157_aaeb30b716_b.jpg
    4702134157_aaeb30b716_b.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 720
It's all fine! It only takes one <insert_any_term_you_like_here> to come along and do a negativity bomb of their blinkered opinions and a great build thread becomes a war zone

Catalogue/period correct builds are great, they really are, but they don't all have to be like that. No justifications or excuses required, it's basic freedom

Lets not let that 'war zone' thing happen here

Over to you WD: Please continue.

Back