The French Connection! now with Alpe d'Huez pics and vid!

Re: The French Connection! now with Alpe d'Huez pics and vid

jonnyboy666":2i0ith54 said:
well i was giving it the beans and most people were rolling because of the traffic, also being on an MTB i had better brakes, i did remember seeing alot of people looking on the hairpins though, some mtb nutter overtaking cars :LOL:

How were your tyres after 10miles @ 40mph?

The roadies are at real risk of blowing their tyres off the rims as the rims heat up on a long descent such as that.

Yeah I blew a front tyre off my road bike before descending from Avoriaz to Morzine, only just managed to avoid crashing as it was just before I was about to go round a hairpin. Half a second later I'd gave been spread across the road!

On this descent though I had no worries. 2.1 inch tyres at 50psi with disc brakes so no worries about popping a tyre.

Need to start planning next year! :D

easton haven, they were a little wide at 710mm so i cut them down 10mm off each end and now they feel nice :)

Thanks for this, makes me want to make sure I'm there next year to see Tour.
We left Scotland on the Thurs the Alpe d'Huez stage was on, heading for Chamonix, we were passing south of Geneva on the Friday going through the same thunderstorms when the Tour was on the Bourg-d'Oisans / Le Grand-Bornand stage and I wanted to be there so much.
As you wrote, the logistics of getting into a stage like Alpe d'Huez means that's all you do for nearly a week. Glad you did it and posted the pics and videos for us. Thanks again.

no probs, i like to have little missions away if i can, and sharing what i get up to is fun aswel.

done well this year,

NAHBS, Moab, Wales, Morzine, Les Deuxs Alpe, Alpe d'Huez, and my next trip is gonna be a Tour de Trail Centre in september :D

Epic thread. Seemed a great trip. Well documented & photographed, I almost felt like I was out there with you.

Great stuff - could really sense the atmosphere on Alpe D'Huez
from your excellent description and photos. The vid of your descent was truly epic. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to put such a good post together.

Back