Project Kona, 94 Fire Mountain

superstu":15375iau said:
I like the seat.
I have a slight aversion to trying to match too much red ano - the shades always clash so I would still prefer a silver seat pin! The USE one is very nice though. Glad the wheel building went well!

Agreed there are lots of different shades, but I may paint the frame a different colour later on, it may tone the red a bit more. I haven't added the red bolts yet.... :oops:

This bike has been great so far, couple of minor tweaks, it now sports a set of race face rings and a steel velocity stem to lower the front just a touch, the wheels have needed a couple of trueing sessions but generally not a lot has been an issue.

The funny thing is I enjoy riding this so much, more than the Orange that was always my personal benchmark of a decent bike, yeah it's a bit heavier (only about 3 lbs) and cost half as much, but it handles so so well. It has become the weapon of choice.

Will upload some pics when I have my pc rather than my phone.

Wish I'd had one years ago! Problem is I'm now a Kona addict, there's a 97 cinder cone and a 96 Kilauea frames in the garage waiting.... Now do I raid this for bits to build the Kilauea up or leave it intact???? :?

The cindercone and firemountain were the same bikes iirc, it was the components that made the difference...happy to be corrected though.

BobCatMax":1z9tqp6a said:
The cindercone and firemountain were the same bikes iirc, it was the components that made the difference...happy to be corrected though.

I thought it was the Lava Dome & Cinder Cone that were the same frame? the Fire mountain was below the Lava Dome. Need a Kona expert though.....

Rally_cat":1z9tqp6a said:
Fantastic! Love it!

Cheers! :D

Pics as promised...

And to prove it doesn't just live in my garden leaning against the fence...

(It's a bit fuzzy, I was breathing hard at the time :oops: )

Attachments

• IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 628
BobCatMax":y9v4fbp4 said:

The 94 Cinder Cone and Lava Dome tubes were Tange double butted cromo.

The 94 Fire Mountain and Hahanna were only Tange Cromo (but only main frame) not DB.

very nice indeed! - I bet the red makes you go faster :D Any comments on your first time wheel building? I quite fancy doing that too...

Back