I need gears

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Mmm...not sure where I am going with this but my daily 12.5 mile each way commute is getting a little tedious with one ratio, so I think I would like a few more.
So this is what I have got and may be you have something we could trade with. Not sure if I want to sell complete, especially with the forks attached but lets see what is about.
The frame is Genesis' 725 I0 which was a frame only option. The ride is excellent and as you may know I have had all types of high end steel frames. This is nearly as good as the best. As shown ex pedals this stands me in at around £750
So...what can you tempt me with?

Frame: Small/medium 17.5 725 Genesis IO rim brake or disc singlespeed specific
Forks: Dekerf Tuning
Headest: Chris King Classic
Handlebars: Easton Havoc Carbon
Wheels: Gold Hope Pro2 on 819 tubeless rims. Front has rim brake surface rear does not (rear was re-built with new rim not so long ago)
Tyres: Maxxis Larsen
Brakes: Magura Marta FR
Stem: Thomson X4
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
Collar: Salsa Lip-lock
Saddle: SDG Bel Air
Cranks: XT with Renthal chainring (Surly cog)

Nice bike. If you're simply after a set of gears though why not keep it and fit an internal hub gearset to it?

The shimano internal 8 speed hubs are pretty discreet, and in Nexus form can be had pretty cheaply as they were fitted to countless commuter/town bikes. Alfine version is centre lock disc compatible, but the Nexus can be fitted with a 6 bolt disc with an adapter from a German bike outfit.

Only one extra cable so you don't lose the clean single speed looks, and you can use a grip twist shifter or a trigger type depending on preference.

Ok, it's not especially retro, but needs must etc...

Just a thought.

You should be ble to pick up a s/h Alfine hub for not much money and in my experience I only notice the weight if I have to chuck the bike over a gate or fence. I like it, no rear mech to get tangled, no chain slap and change gear while track standing before a technical section.
Not quite as nice as a SS in my opinion but getting on that way.

Would have thought that the weight from the mechs and cassette would be not much less than the hub anyway.

A nexus inter 8 is about 1.5kg. Heavy for a hub, but then it does contain a lot of "stuff". The equivalent derailleur set up is about 500g less. That may be to much for a wieght obsessed rider to contemplate, but there are a lot of upsides to using one.

1 is simplicity, these things are really robust and very reliable. The shimano uses a rotary action on the gear cable input, which is tucked in right out of the way. The sort of things that rip rear mechs off won't affect a hub gearset.

2 is maintenance. They are as close to fit and forget as you get in gearsets, and cleaning is a doddle.

3 is the ease with which you can set them up. The hub gears can be fitted with a wide range of input sprockets too, so you can match whatever chainring a you already have to give you the range of gears you need. The sprockets change out without tools (once the wheel is off) and can be had from 16 to 22 teeth.

The Nexus 8 I put in my wife's bike (a change prompted by her catastrophic lack of mechanical sympathy for dérailleur gears, she moans that they crunch when she's shifted about about a dozen cogs whilst standing still) offers something like 0.5:1 in first (2ish turns of the sprocket to one turn of the wheel), with 5th (I think) being a lockout that gives single speed-esque 1:1 drive at the hub, before moving into the overdrive range in 6th, 7th & 8th, where you get something like 1.6 turns of wheel to 1 turn of the sprocket. She can now do without the small chainring, and can change gears when she's standing still or under full power. She can get away with the full power changes because she's tiny, but even with me mashing down with 16 stones of brutal ignorance, it still copes without making to many disconcerting noises. I have another inter 8 that's been in the cupboard for the last year, waiting for me to hook it up to an electric motor drive. I'm pretty sure it'll handle it, if I ever get round to building it.

For riders who crave the simple lines and ease of maintenance of a single speed but need a few extra cogs, they are an option worth considering. Not very retro though, unless you go for a three speed sturmey archer...

GSB":ktgf47zh said:
3 is the ease with which you can set them up. The hub gears can be fitted with a wide range of input sprockets too, so you can match whatever chainring a you already have to give you the range of gears you need. The sprockets change out without tools (once the wheel is off) and can be had from 16 to 22 teeth.
You'll still need a couple of small flat blade screwdrivers to remove the sprocket retaining circlip .
GSB":ktgf47zh said:
She can get away with the full power changes because she's tiny, but even with me mashing down with 16 stones of brutal ignorance, it still copes without making to many disconcerting noises.
Shifting under power is probably the quickest way to shorten the hub's lifespan though - it's far better to back off the power for the very short time it takes to execute the change

Latest posts

Back