kieth coppell rebuild

anton1

Retro Newbie
Hi, i,me new to the forum and i,ve just bought a KIETH COPPELL REYNOLDS 653 FRAME and intend to do a period road rebuild, i am sure i will be on here asking lots of questions as i havent done one before, but for now can anyone supply any info on the frame please, the SERIEL NUMBER IS K1332 and it has campag dropouts front and rear, i believe it was built around mid 1970,s,
thanks,

Welcome :)

I was around in the 70's and don't remember 653 coming out.......... as a stab in the dark I think 653 came out mid 80's which would change your period components completely.

Shaun

Midlife":1l6lu9oi said:
Welcome :)

I was around in the 70's and don't remember 653 coming out.......... as a stab in the dark I think 653 came out mid 80's which would change your period components completely.

Shaun

I have a 1987 Raleigh in 653, anyone got anything older!!

Thanks, i was told its from mid 70,s but yeh possibly a bit later then, hopefully i will be able to date it from the serial number before i start replacing the parts, also would appreciate any reccomendations for frame painters in the hampshire area,
many thanks,

Hiya all

I think Dad's first frames under his own steam were built in 1978/1979, this is when he got the shop in Maghull and it was either January 1978 or January 1979, i'd have to look at the serial number on his own bike to give you a more definitive answer to that, but it was definitely no earlier than 1978.

Take care

Paula

Hi, thanks Paula,
the chap i bought it from said he had it from new in mid 70,s, but i think he must have meant late 70,s early to mid 80,s as i believe 653 frames werent around till the 80,s,
the frame is about to go and be dipped and stripped for painting and then will have kieth coppell details put back on, will post some pics when finished,
many thanks again,
regards Tony,

Hi Tony,

I was thinking about it on the way home from work last night and i think its more likely to be the mid eighties judging from the serial number you posted.

Yeah would be nice to see some pics of it

Take care

Paula

Back