old raleigh slow slow project/daily rider

upon further inspection and 10 mins with some soap and a sponge the paint can be saved, will be repainting some parts and touching up minor chips on the frame but going to do it properly, might have to replace the bottom bracket too but have no experience In doing that so will be taking it to the local bike guru to have done

I have a few Karma spares which may be of use to you, bottom bracket, cantilever brakes, cranks, mechs etc, nothing top end but perfectly usable.

Just shout :p

Before cassette type bottom brackets they were threaded cup and cone type jobs. There were dozens of standards but most mass manufacturer used 24tpi. In their.wisdom Raleigh mainly used 26tpi for their bb's and headsets, making part incompatible with the rest of the World. I was thinking out loud as to whether they extends this quirkiness to any of their MTBs of the era.

my bomber is 26tpi in that configuration, but then its not really a mountain bike, still not quite suire what it is :D

first full commute (there and back) done on the full sus in the early hours of the morning (volunteer at a dog shelter and im in charge of the morning feed and walks) already hate the bike, cant wait to get the Raleigh done, going to spend some time cleaning it up today, got someone coming over to take a look at the bottom bracket for me to see if it does need replacing, if it does im going to be taught how to change bottom brackets :) finally been paid so can get some bigger parts, going to order some new wheels and tyres, might stick with v-brakes but have a cheap set of cantis I might try out for a bit, new grips, cables, chain, innertubes and finally a cycle computer is on the way :) ill post pics of cleaning the frame up later :)

bottom bracket has been sorted, apparently it just needed to be greased up and reinstalled as it wasn't done properly last time it was done, cranks etc are all back on and now I can ride it again :D didn't get any pics of it being done as I was too ingrosed in watching it being done so I can do it myself next time :) cleaned the frame a bit and got fed up of trying to get the blue and yellow paint off so it will be getting painted at some point in the near future, wanna try a better setup first so I can just strip, paint, rebuild and itll be how I want it, the full sus is getting stripped for parts and frame being tossed out to the tat man, can anyone sujjest some good slick tyres?

EDIT: forgot to mention - the guy who did the bottom bracket said it wasn't a 26tpi? but personally im not too sure

depending what the paint is (off the shelf brushed on stuff, or rattle can) "standard thinners" (cellulose) will wipe it off

Latest posts

Back