Reasonable car tyres

widowmaker":vgkm7tqc said:
And AVOID part worns unless they are from a relative/friend who can vouch for their age/condition :shock:

I would rather give you a few quid than let you buy partworns :)

This^^^^

If its the wifes/family car then ill assume that your loved one(s) wil be in it, wife/kids, you really do not want to be using part worn, they have been taken OFF a car for a reason, be it internal damage from being driven flat (not always visible from outside/when fitted) they could have poorly/illegally repaired punctures, anything could be wrong with them!

When it comes to brakes and tyres, theyre the only things between you and the road/trees/walls/other vehicles, you should always buy the best you can afford when it comes to them, they are your life!

And ive just seen your reply about 'halfshaft' and cam belt, surely you mean drive shaft as a megane is front wheel drive, and why does it need a shaft, surely it should only need a cv joint or a boot?

just bought the cheapest tyres possible for the wifes 58 megane today, kwik shits £102 all in for two.

the tyres they are replacing were part worns which have been on less than a year, still loads of meat on them but the sidewalls are cracking , one tyre is punctured as a result. We will not buy part worns again for this reason, as you just dont know how long they have been sat being soaked and then baked repeatedly by the sun .

we are selling the car in the next few weeks or would have bought better mind you

Spudly":3h4ue3o5 said:
And ive just seen your reply about 'halfshaft' and cam belt, surely you mean drive shaft as a megane is front wheel drive, and why does it need a shaft, surely it should only need a cv joint or a boot?

I call them halfshafts!

Perhaps the splines are worn on the halfshaft, but right enough it is often the cv joint.

As far as part worns go, often people (like me) replace all their tyres at once, or at least pairs.

That means there are many tyres removed that are in perfect usable condition.

It amazes me the number of people I know who swear by replacing their cam belts earlier than manufacturer recommendation, and tyres as soon as they are down a couple of mm.

It is up to them to waste money, but most of these same people never inspect their tyres, lights or check their fluids, because they 'put it in for an extra service' or some such rot every six months, nor bother to pack winter essentials when the snows come.

Back