2008 Haro Mary XC 29'er

Stripped the bike down at the start of the year in preparation for powdercoat and rebuild. Paint was looking very tired after 3 years of being my go to bike. Finally put it in in March - went with baby blue, same colour as the singlespeed version of the Mary:

DSC_9220.NEF.jpg

I used ESP in Glasgow, pretty good experience. They've got a wee 'showroom' (actually a container with sample parts powdercoated in the colours that they do). Guy I spoke to was very good, made a point of making sure I saw the sample in broad daylight, so I knew exactly what I was getting. Threads, BB and headtube seemed to have been masked very well, even the tiny holes for the rear-hanger look clear! According to a recent thread on Singletrack, they're used by some of the bike shops in Glasgow when they want a frame powdercoated.

Cost me £60 all in, and that included a seatpost (aye, I know, it might not fit any more, but since it never fit properly when it was shimmed, maybe it will now). Took about a week to do, but I wasn't in a rush for it. When I took it in in a Tuesday, he reckoned he'd have had it done on the Friday.

Fast forward to May - Had day off work, so popped down to Halfords for a can of Ford Ivory White, and got busy with the masking tape:

2010-01%2520Haro%2520Mary.jpg

Reasonably happy with the end result (passes the 10 foot test) and can now start building it up again...

Finally built it back up a couple of weeks ago.

DSC_0280.NEF.jpg

Charge saddle and new Oury grips, plus new Deore brakes with some natty blue Superstar hoses.

I've went 1x10 with an SLX shifter, short cage clutch Zee mech and 11-36 cassette and the Works Components 32t front ring - It's got alternating thickness teeth, so combined with the clutch mech, apparently there's no need for a chain guide. So far so good, no dropped chains yet.

Collages.jpg

Still running the original forks (which could do with a service), and I'd really like a nice new (and lighter) wheelset, plus I need to come up with some decals for the downtube, but reasonably happy with the way it's turned out.

Cheers coomber, I know what you mean about the seatpost - I regret not getting the stem done instead, it would have been much more subtle. Having said that, the seatpost has grown on me.

Just takes some getting used to! Stems are more common I guess. Lovely colour that blue.

Back