Swapping frame?

doubledeuce

Dirt Disciple
Bought a mid 90's saracen bike on ebay but I'm thinking the frame will probably be a bit too big. The spec is good, pretty much all XT so I'm hoping to get another frame (hopefully a Gary Fisher) and swap the lot over.

Just wondering what to look for in a frame so as much as poss will fit? Should I get tools and try to do the BB and headset or just take it to a bike shop? I'm fairly handy with cars but haven't messed about with bikes for years!

Thanks

You need a chain splitter, bottom bracket tool and crank pullers as specific tools. You might need headset spanners but depends on the bikes in question.

If bottom bracket is good swap it over providing shell is right size (measure with a ruler).

You should post pics or let us know who the models so we can see if the rest will swap.over like Seatposts etc.

And welcome to the site!

Hi mate this is the beast! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saracen-Tufft ... true&rt=nc

19" should be the right size but I sat on some bikes while in Halfords the other day and the 18 with the seat higher felt so much more comfortable. Probably silly but it will just bug me!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ah nice. What is the frame you are swapping onto?

I would point out that modern bikes are a lot different. Most have a longer top tube and short stem.

Anyway, imagine that the bottom bracket is 68mm shell, seatpost I have no idea but *think* its 26.8 and front mech therefore 28.6mm.

The drivertrain and wheels look mint and even if seatpost and front mech are wrong size you can pick them both up cheap as chips

I would say (as am doing this at moment...........)

1) Bottom bracket - 73 or 68mm shell (but also possibly axle length ?, threads should all be british)
2) Headset 1" or 1 1/8" (assuming nothing odd like 1 1/4) and hence stem diameter, and whether forks threaded or ahead
3) Seat tube diameter - external for front mech and seat post clamp
4) Front mech top or bottom pull
5) Seat tube diameter - internal for seat post
6) Wheel spacing - distance between dropouts, but most std these days if similar age bikes

if swapping forks over gets a lot more complicated with axle / crown measurements etc but lots on here about that I'm sure.........

as an edit, you've worked on cars then should have no trouble with bikes, even if you're a bit rusty

Well the bike arrived and its a perfect fit, the seat has to be as high as it can go. Sorry :oops: :LOL:

New problem though- the thread has been lost on the cranks so the pedals can't screw in. If I re-thread them the pedals won't fit. I'll have to get new ones?

Other than that I'm really chuffed with the bike

You sure you are trying to thread the right way?! Heli coil can work else you will need new crank arms.

Back