converting my old raleigh's bars

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
hi guys. just a quickie as not going to be on here for long. Ive got an old raleigh flyer road bike which was given and I love it. trouble is I dont like the drop bars because Im used to mountain biking.

am wondering if I could fit some mountain bike bars to it? sounds stupid I know but Ive got some old bars here and wondered if it would be possible, almost creating a hybrid :LOL: the shifters are on the downtube so that isnt a problem, it has U brakes so would it be a case of finding some U brake compatible levers and just fitting them or would there be any modifications needed. I wouldnt have thought so personally but road bikes are new to me.

any help appreciated guys.

I'd recommend that you ride it a bit more. Drops feel odd at first but really are the best solution if you ride distances over about 30 miles - which is a couple of hours on a road bike. Otherwise you rapidly get sore hands and wrists.

You'll be worried about reaching the brakes. Ride with your hands over the levers, and you can brake by wrapping your fingers round the blade. It sounds awkward but works well.

yeah I will be riding it first. just wondered if it was an option should I need it. needs work before I can ride it yet but just exploring options.

It is possible but would be the work of Satan's Auntie. Make sure the levers aren't placed too far down the drop and check you can apply the brakes from the hoods. Riding a combination of the hoods and the tops (flat) part of the bar will help ease you into it.

You'll soon be used to it! Careful though, a whole new and expensive world of biking perfection awaits. You won't want to get muddy ever again!

The conversion is not difficult: new bars, usually new stem (25.4 bar not 26.0) MTB canti levers work fine (NOT V, which don't have enough leverage).

hamster":8a41l850 said:
The conversion is not difficult: new bars, usually new stem (25.4 bar not 26.0) MTB canti levers work fine (NOT V, which don't have enough leverage).

+1 plus a pair of friction thumbies?

You can buy adaptors from halfords which adapt the old 1" expanding to modern clamp type bar arrangement. I use one on the rudge for this reason and it works well.

As to brakes, as said above.

Back