need a through axle rear wheel

GoldSpanner

Dirt Disciple
I need a through axle rear wheel (700c) because I've got horizontal dropouts on the frame I'm using for the build.

Where should I look? Everything seems to use quick release

Cheers

Alex

quick release doesn't apply enough pressure, so for horizontal dropouts, there is a risk of the right side being pulled forward by the chain

Total rubbish. If you set the QR correctly it will hold anything. We used Q/R on fixed wheel bikes for competition purposes or general riding, chrome or painted ends.
Are you securing the Q/R lever so that it just goes over the top of the cam?
I hope you are not just trying to screw it in?
Keith

I haven't bought any wheels yet, so this is purely speculation.

If you reckon that quick release WOULD hold it (and upon some further searching, it would seem there is some debate over this topic), are there any skewers that are better than others?

Cheers

Alex

I had the same problem and was advised on here to get some quality internal cam skewers. The modern external cams kept slipping. The old style skewers really do the job and the rear wheel hasn't budged a mm, even under heavy loads when sprinting / climbing etc

N

.........the above sort of sums it up :) the old internal cam QR's are designed for horizontal dropouts while the modern external cam jobbies are for vertical dropouts.

The proviso being that for rear horizontal dropouts that have been chromed then even the internal cam skewers need to be very tight.

Shaun

I have vertical drop outs on the tandem and use a good old fashioned Campag skewer. Even with 33 stone of middle aged blokes going for it in a ten we haven't budged it.

I don't see Cavendish or any of the other worlds top sprinters pulling wheels over & they use Q/R Skewers, and they are putting down some serious power/wattage when flat out.
Agree 100% with keithglos "Total rubbish. If you set the QR correctly it will hold anything."

Back