26 1 1/4" Tyres (32x597) Amberwall - Dunlop Michellin?!?

7ven

Dirt Disciple
Hello,
I need some nice 26 1 1/4" Amberwall tyres (32x597) to finish off my '47 Hobbs of Barbican build.
Anyone got anything suitable in NOS or great condition or point me in the direction of something that's not the modern Kenda's or Schwalbes?
Needs to be Amberwall.
Many thanks
Pete

You will have to be very lucky to find Amberwall,last pair of NOS Michelin I had went to a Japanese collector for three figures.
I only have one bike on 26x 1 /1/4 now,most made for that size of tyre will take 700c no problem(they where often made to run 26x1 1 /4 for getting to work and sprints for racing on in the days when most club men could only afford one bike).Still some nice 700c rims around drilled 32/40.De-stickered they look like sprint rims and you will have a wide choice of really good tyres.(same goes for sprints of course).
I would stock up on the few all black tyres that are left before they go too.
Good luck.

They have black side walls and can be had cheaper elsewhere.Sill worth getting some black ones in though as I suspect they won't be around much longer.The two pre war bikes I use regullary run on 700c Mavics re-stickered as Fiamme sprint rims on the originall hubs,They ride a lot better than my Mueseum piece Bates on 50 year old Dunlops.
Might be worth a wanted on the CTC website.
Keep looking some will turn up,meanwhile run it on the black ones,but it will be much more fun on modern tyres.

Thanks both. I'll post on CTC to see if anyone over there can help!
Meanwhile, if you see anything, please let me know!

I think I have some from a 1960's BSA. Let me have a look when I get home, they're defo amber wall, and Michelin I'm almost sure. In good condition. Not NOS tho.

Back