1994 Kona Lavadome, with original extras and love and SOLD

samc

Retro Guru
SOLD. Look away. Nothing to see here. You thought you could buy it, but you couldn't. This is sad, we're all cut-up about it, but the '94 Lavadome remains a unicorn to you.

Have a little cry but remember; there are plenty more fish in the sea. No Lavadomes though. No sir. Not here. This sea is bereft of unicorns, I mean Lavadomes, and you'll never ride either. Assuming you ever wanted to. Assuming you did want to, I have ridden one. That's right. But as far as you know, I could probably be like a cyclops or whatever. And cyclopses don't even exist so NOBODY KNOWS what it's like to ride one of these mythical devices. Try and sleep tonight, but I bet you you can't - you'll be dreaming of that god-damn unicorn double-unicycle that is ...

...the

....Lavadome.

THE BEST BIKE FROM THE BEST YEAR. (fact)

When I first saw this bike, I wept openly for the first time since I was nine years old. She's a beaut, with that iconic steel frame, from a time when John Leslie was allowed on Blue Peter and the Beano cost 35p. I can't look at it for more than three minutes per day because it's so pretty it gives me a funny feeling in my tummy and I get 'confused' in the trouser department. Plus I've got another retro bike and need the cash for beer and fags.

Bar - original Kona Racelight, uncut, and a Ritchey Forcelight as well, because why not let's go crazy and pretend we have four arms
Frame - a little bit chipped but no dents or actual issues. Rides like a battle hawk. Battle hawks don't exist, but if they did, it would ride like that
Forks - original Project 2 - good condition, would benefit from new decals
Stem - original Velocity with that awesome canti runner guide thing
Headset - original Kona Impact headset (1 1/8")
Brakes - vintage shimano V's, and the original cantis/levers are included as well in case you want to go the whole hog (see pics)
Derailleurs - original LX rear, shimano STX (I think) front
Chainset - Shimano STX in great condition, runs really smooth
Shifters - original thumbies! Lightweight gripshift included in case you want to go to the dark side
Tyres - oldschool Michelins, plenty of wear left
Wheels - nowt exciting, but not crap - they're Belgian ... Alesi or something
Pedals - dirty Wellgo flatties nonsense. Throw them in the bin and throw the bin over a rainbow
Saddle - oldschool Selle Royal Xsenium
Seatpost collar - original Kona, plus canti guide rear collar thing.

Click for high res pics:

This next shot is one of those 'aspirational' photos that has nothing to do with the bike, it just looks dreamy and makes you want a cool sunny Californian life with braided hair and crocs. Those oars are just for show, like subconsciously you'll think the bike will keep you fit and 'outdoorsy' when really you sit inside and eat Fray Bentos while burning a hole in the Buffy boxset. I've never even used those oars. Ever. Not once.

LOOK!
EXTRAS:
I'll include the original cantis, sachs gripshift, Ritchey Forcelite, Kona levers.
Note the second set of cantis doesn't have the hangar thing. I've lost this, but you can have the fun of buying a replacement. Hey make a game of it, see if you can buy a canti hangar from a man in Canterbury called Hanga. Just a suggestion. You could equally throw the lot away and live a shrivelled, meagre existence with your 2008 Specialized, thinking [incorrectly] you were the bees knees. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT.

Click here for original catalogue entry

This paragraph should be read in Alan Partridge's voice.
All-in, she weighs about 27lbs (that's with heavy pedals and standard wheels/tyres - weenies could easily get her down to 24lbs), so despite the steel she's lighter than most brand new £2k mountain bikes. OK she doesn't have "suspension" or quite as many gears, but she doesn't look like a chewed toffee and she rides like a dream (a sexy dream) (not that sexy, step it down a bit). The frame's chipped and has little tiny bits of rust creeping in in a few places (as you'd expect from a 19 year-old) (just to be clear; a 19 year-old bicycle), but there's no dents or cracks and she goes like a nougat unicorn on shore leave.

Please note the Pokemon skateboard and oars and other crap from my garage are not included in the sale, but the bit of plywood in picture 5 can be bought for an extra £75 if you pick up from Bristol and promise not to make eye contact.

The main issue with the bike is that because it's so beautiful, people will literally stop you in the street to weep at it. Other probs are minor; there's paint loss on top of seat tube (see large version of pic 1), and the plastic cassette-protector disc has a chunk missing (you could just remove it).

£200 posted (uk). Size: medium, I'm 6 foot tall and it's setup for me in the pics. I think the frame is something like 16" centre-centre, or 18" centre-collar. Headset is 1 1/8" if you want to change the forks. You don't want to though, those P2s are acemazin.

Re: 1994 Kona Lavadome, with original extras and love.

Lovely bike and great ad:)

Very fair price too, a good buy for somebody me thinks!

Currently running exact same frame with some Rockshox Reba's and the ride is superb.
Light, responsive and really comfy.

Good luck with the sale

:cool: :cool: :cool:

ellist":oalovzc8 said:
Dibs on the plywood if you split?

OK, but I'd prefer to sell it as a set so the new owner can lay the extra components on the plywood in an attractive motif, like I did. Wait a few weeks though and I might be more desperate, start offering crazy deals like £74 for the plywood! Maybe £73! Imagine.

I've checked my bank account and had a discussion with my wife. I believe she will let me have enough money for the air in the tyres if you split. If I bargain hard. For now I may just print out a picture of it.

Hi there..

I'm interested in your bike.. Are you in Bristol then??
Let me know if so and your 'unposted' price as I dont live all that far away!

Regards

Alex

ellist":16j4ab95 said:
...enough money for the air in the tyres if you split. If I bargain hard. For now I may just print out a picture of it.

As it's a charity case, I will place some of the air from the tyres in a bottle for you if you're willing to pickup from Bristol. For 25p I'll even rub a cloth on the frame and let you sniff it. Smells like a victory kestrel, swooping through a steel war hammock.

alexandlinda":16j4ab95 said:
I'm interested in your bike.. Are you in Bristol then??
Let me know if so and your 'unposted' price as I dont live all that far away!

Yes! Come and get it, save me putting it in a dirty box and weeping at the Post Office. Unposted it's £180.

Back