velo de Cyfac, Jean-Claude Garde 1989 Super U-Raleigh-Fiat

bigfatron

Retro Guru
I bought this on ebay 2 or 3 years ago from a chap in France. She came complete with plenty of rust having been stored in poor conditions for years, together with Campagnolo C Record headset, bottom bracket and 26.8mm seat pin - all for £243 posted to the UK. I guessed the frame was almost free at that price......
The forks I received were straight alloy Vitus Chrono Fourche, they've been replaced.
She's a great ride.
many of you will notice that the saddle is not quite level, the nose is a touch high. 62 miles on Sunday and the numb parts told me this......it's level, and now a lot further back.
I took the pictures on Sunday morning after said 62 mile ride, before cleaning her.
I've considered a strip and refinish, but Garde rode only 1989 with Super U, he didn't continue with Castorama, and I've decided that as a 1989 frame in aged condition I should keep her as she is, rust, worn patches and all.
I hope you like her as much as I do.

Frame: by Cyfac in Reynolds 753 for Jean-Claude Garde of Super U, 57cm with "relaxed" Guimard seat tube geometry, Campagnolo drop outs, confirmed by Aymeric le Brun at the company.

Fork: Raleigh Dyna Tech from a 59cm Race frameset, Raleigh drop outs

Headset: Campagnolo C Record BSC thread
Stem: ITM 135mm, 25.8mm clamp
Handlebar: SR Road Champion 40cm, 25.4mm clamp with Stella beer can shims
Bar Tape: Benotto smooth
Brake Levers: Campagnolo C record
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo C Record Delta
Brake Pads: Campagnolo C Record Delta
Brake Cables: Campagnolo C Record outer, Jagwire inner

Shifters: Simplex Retro Friction
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record braze on
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo C Record
Derailleur Cables: Campagnolo C Record outer, generic cable
Freewheel: Suntour Winner Pro steel, 13/14/15/16/18/21/26
Chain: Wippermann Connex 808
Cranks: Campagnolo C Record 180mm
Chainrings: 54/39
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo C Record 111mm French thread
Pedals: Time Equipe Pro Titan Magnesium

Rims: Wolber TX Profil 20mm tubular
Hubs: Campagnolo C Record 28 spoke
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo C Record
Nipples: unsure, alloy, what Stow's in Slough use
Spokes: unsure, stainless double butted, 3 cross lacing, wheels built by Jan at Stow's in Slough
Tyres: Schwalbe Milano tubular, 22mm

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo 1990, leather covered, WCS stripes
Seatpost: Campagnolo C Record 26.8mm
Seatpost Binder: generic steel into frame lug

Bottle Cage: TA Specialites alloy
Extras: Cinelli BB shell and brake bridge, internal top tube cable, race number pip brazed on. computer is a Cateye Velo

she is in her original paint and decals, including 3x"Maxi Sports", "Campagnolo Equipped" and "Reynolds Service Course" - never seen that one before - and as you can see the frame has been cleaned to within an inch of it's life, some of the decals just clear plastic with no print left. but, as a professional's bike, that's not surprising

Weight - 9.5kg

Attachments

• cyfac.jpg
    cyfac.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,295
  • cyfac 1.jpg
    cyfac 1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,289
  • cyfac 2.jpg
    cyfac 2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,289
  • cyfac 3.jpg
    cyfac 3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,290
  • cyfac 4.jpg
    cyfac 4.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,291
  • cyfac 5.jpg
    cyfac 5.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,295
Re: velo de Cyfac, Jean-Claude Garde 1989 Super U-Raleigh-Fi

Nice Richie - could do with some bigger pics though!!

thank you Matt, I was wondering why I hadn't yet heard from you!

now I'll need some help with how to post bigger pictures, I just can't seem to work it out. If I take them with my nice DSLR they are 14mb, far too big, and I can't work out resizing the things. I've ended up attaching them to an email and then attaching them to my post from there.

I'll see what I can do later today.....

Very nice :)

It didn't come with the Record Delta calipers did it? That would be a bargain!

thank you very much, and you're right, a frame with a pair of Deltas on would have been very nice indeed!
However, she did come with the aforementioned bits. I reckoned the value of the seatpin, bb and headset were about £200, so the £40 for postage made the frame £3!

I've been busily collecting extra sets of spare parts since I decided 5 years ago that I would build the bike(s) of my dreams, and since that dream is of a 1989 Super U Raleigh I know exactly what is required.
I think I have 5 or 6 pairs of Delta callipers now, along with spare wheel guides, nuts, blocks and shoes.
Add to that my boxes and boxes of levers, bars, stems, freewheels, cables, bar tape, saddles, pedals, hubs, cranks and derailleurs, and a loft full of wheels and rims, I have enough for many bikes, not just the 3 I intend to build up!

hoarder? oh yes, that would be me......

Very nice, perhaps some longer cranks? ?? :D

bigfatron":2sta830e said:

now I'll need some help with how to post bigger pictures, I just can't seem to work it out. If I take them with my nice DSLR they are 14mb, far too big, and I can't work out resizing the things. I've ended up attaching them to an email and then attaching them to my post from there.

I am on holiday mate, getting a few miles in on my 1987 653 Raleigh. 42 x 21 bottom gear not suited to the hills where I am, so every ride is a journey into the red!!

Looking forward to the pics. Remember, full respray at Cyfac only €300!

matthew71":2m7x5lkc said:
Very nice, perhaps some longer cranks? ?? :D

Campag refused to sell me the specially made 190mm pair from Indurains hour record bike!

Matt_wood55":1ts2gyld said:
bigfatron":1ts2gyld said:

I am on holiday mate, getting a few miles in on my 1987 653 Raleigh. 42 x 21 bottom gear not suited to the hills where I am, so every ride is a journey into the red!!

Looking forward to the pics. Remember, full respray at Cyfac only €300!

Richie,

have you even gone as far as using Chorus bolts on the chainset rather than the c-record fixings? If so, nice touch!!

Lovely to see Richie, I have a very soft spot for these bikes as you know. Would love to get my hands on a 54cm ex team frame one of these days.

Would also like to see some bigger pictures please.

Martin

Back