Any Claud Butler Experts ?

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
need some help trying to id this Claud Butler , its a lugless frame with 2 rows of numbers on bottom bracket shell 845 and then 523 underneath . Rear hub is a 4 speed sturmey archer fw with code 48 9 so going for 1949 ? and at some point it looks like the rear hub had a toggle on each side as it has 2 gear control pods .

26 x 1 1/4 wheels and tyres fr hub is a Harden item , looks like a Williams crankset with a zh date code from the early 60's , webb pedals , brakes look to have been replaced as it has Weinmann 730 fr & rr with matching levers . Saddle is a Wrights Olympian 56 .

its not got the normal Olympic ring style headbadge one in pic is not actual bike

any help please , more pics are on flick r http://www.flickr.com/photos/68734341@N04/

not sure what to do with the old gal , anybody fancy a project ?

Attachments

• claud.JPG
    claud.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 592
  • cbhead.jpg
    cbhead.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 591
Hi, An educated guess, the year is 52 and a March bike ( 3 ) , it looks similar to a Jubilee model which came out about that time. Nice forks, they are not the normal ones you see. Terry

I'd say similar to a Jubilee as well but I've not seen one with a headset grease nipple or cable guides. They did other fillet brazed frames but I can only think of the Club International at the moment which had different seat stays.

Good job you're a long distance away or I'd be tempted :)

OldTel":39lkap0k said:
Hi, An educated guess, the year is 52 and a March bike ( 3 ) , it looks similar to a Jubilee model which came out about that time. Nice forks, they are not the normal ones you see. Terry

tony i can see where you get the date from , i wasnt sure which set of numbers were the year and which were not . thanks

The catalogues at http://www.nkilgariff.com are invaluable for this.

I think the combination of fluted seat stays and lugless brazing make it the Super Velo though I might be wrong.

The transfers look very proper but the paint is too good to be 1952. You can check the forks match the frame by comparing the frame number with that concealed on the steerer tube.

Great looking bike!

Latest posts

Back