Kalkhoff Coupe du Monde - being Boring

nickf1975

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys

I noticed tcb888 had posted a query about a stuck stem recently. Unfortunately I went one stage further as I could not move the stem so I took matters into my own hands and sawed the stem off :( .

I read in another forum somewhere that if this happens the existing or left over stem could be bored out. Is this something that I could do myself and is this quite a straightforward job.

Also I had a look at the forks, thinking they were sprayed silver but they seem to chrome plated. How easy/costly a job is it to have them re-plated or is it possible to spray over with a different colour?

Many thanks

Nick

Attachments

• fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 660
  • tange.jpg
    tange.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 660
  • chrome.jpg
    chrome.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 660
After riding her training bike for years without the expander bolt I decided to fix it. I had a plumbers type butane gas burner and heated up the fork column enough to melt the alloy, this is far below brazing temperature.

What about drilling the visible stem? and then filing it off? Maybe I could use a burner to get rid of any left over nearer the steerer?

Thanks

The stem might go down 4 or 5 inches, all I am saying, my way worked quite quickly, starting from the top. Be aware the melted metal dripping out is probably 700 centigrade.
Keith

It's not explosive, it will just drip out in lumps, and cool very quickly. Not enough heat to damage a concrete floor.

Back