Reasonable car tyres

Around my way, a local garage has quoted our Megane for £177.78 for 4 tyres fitted inc disposal of the ancient Michelins

So many variables, you're right. Thank you all for the replies!

The car was inherited from a relative. The car generally gets used once a week for about sixty miles along the motorway so we're not looking for anything special. I just had a hairy moment locking up coming off the motorway yesterday, which opened my eyes.

I'll look at part-worn as the first option since the projected mileage hardly warrants spending more. I do intend to keep the car until it dies, which could be anytime soon!

Cheers, T..

Realistically the nominal cost of your tyres are too cheap to save anything buying online Vs the postage costs. Pirelli P6000's are a safe bet.

I just bought 2x Toyo T1R's in 225/45 R17 ZR 94Y's from ebay and were delivered the day after I paid, cheapest of camskill, mytyres, black circles etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141019200122? ... 1439.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Don't let anybody try to sell you Hankook tyres. They'll last a lifetime but that may not be very long, I had two of the factory fit Hankooks blow out on my last van.

Avon ZV's are probably the best compromise between price, performance and longevity for our OPs tyre size. Don't pay too much credence to the new tyre performance ratings, as how they perform in the real world is as far from reality as the EU' s economy cycle figures.

I would say avoid budget tyres, normally the ones with funny names :)

Some budget one are lethal, and the difference in price is not huge between them and mid range.

Go for ones with a name you have heard off (apologies if its teaching a granny to suck eggs)

Shop around, there is a guy near me that has a small oldschool yard and sell tyres like Michelins, Firestones, Avon etc etc at prices much cheaper than the larger chains and don't be afraid to haggle if you need 2 or more.

I run Falken 912's on my car and have for many years cheap and decent all rounders.

And AVOID part worns unless they are from a relative/friend who can vouch for their age/condition :shock:

I would rather give you a few quid than let you buy partworns :)

Thank you all for the advice. Just had a full set fitted at a local place, found on Google Maps, for a shade under £200. I was embarrassed by how much better the car felt on the way home. Now for a new half shaft and cam belt. I'm spoiling this car lately!

Latest posts

Back