Head over heart?

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I really like the bikes I have settled on (a pair of oranges, a 99 gringo and a year one x1) I also have a cheapo road I've that has been commuter converted.

In the last few months I have come to the conclusion that since I don't have time to ride as often as I would like, my knees won't let me ride as often as I like and I could really do with clearing a bit of space and freeing up some cash for a new rifle.

My idea is to sell the cheap roadside on ebay, strip and sell both frames, forks, unwanted mechs, shifters, brakes etc. And keep the saddle I like best along with both wheelsets I could in theory go turn of the century-ish in age with a frame that suits me and throw some forks with a lockout on them. If I kept both my hope and XT wheelsets I could run one xc set and one slick set of tyres.

Would this leave me satisfied? I realise the end result would be a compromise but if I went for a decent frame the end result would be a very good bike (it would be running sram x-9 and Maggie hs33 for going and stopping)

Should I do it?

Will I regret it?

Is my logic flawed?

I have one bike, a "turn of the century" xc hardtail with 2 sets of wheels, fitted with slicks and knoblies... simplicity, space and the boss is kept happy... although I keep my mouth shut at her 3bikes :cool:

I was thinking of something like a rock lobster, p7, late zaskar... I just don't see the point in keeping 3 bikes (plus the wifes) when I struggle to ride more than once every couple of months!

I've also got a single speed marin project that just needs a new rear spoke, a splash of paint and then building up.

unkleGsif":367gm915 said:
I have one bike, a "turn of the century" xc hardtail with 2 sets of wheels, fitted with slicks and knoblies... simplicity, space and the boss is kept happy... although I keep my mouth shut at her 3bikes :cool:

there is something very very wrong here Gsif :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jax heart wins everytime and you will regret it, at present i am only getting to ride about once a week.

however it is just blissful having a big choice of bikes that each time i ride them i fall in love with all over again, each with their own personality and quirks.When I havent ridden one i get a hankering for her, all bikes get ridden at some point although some more than others.

i go through phases like this, thinking why do i have 7 built bikes and four more projects, but they are fleeting. I even thought of selling my gringo the other week, as i so prefer steel and she hasnt been ridden really since she was naughty and wrapped her rear mech around the cassette at the beginning of the ride. But when winter comes she is my first choice with her fab mud clearance and her bullet proof paint

i waffle and lose my train of thought, but dont sell if there is really no need and make the decision just after you have ridden her and not when you havent rode her for ages.

the head argument - are you short of space and so can only have one bike, do you need the money by selling, if both no then not sure I follow your logic as to reduce to one, its a lot less hassle having one xc and one slick tyred bike than changing wheels etc

as to heart, not qualified

Latest posts

Back