Diamondback Special Edition, mtb world champs, Cairns, 1996

konafan.com

Dirt Disciple
hi retro peeps,

just wondered if anyone has any information about this bike which I passed in the street in Adelaide. It seems to be a special edition Diamondback produced for the UCI mtb world champs that were held in Cairns in 1996. It has decals featuring the UCI world champ rainbow stripes on the top and seat tubes and a 'Cairns SE' decal on the top tube. Anyhows, thought the people here might like to see this - I tried the search tool and didn't find any info about this bike, if anyone knows anything about it I'd be interested to know more....

Attachments

• diamondback_cairns_se.jpg
    diamondback_cairns_se.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 834
  • diamondback_uci_cairns.jpg
    diamondback_uci_cairns.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 835
Re: Diamondback Special Edition, mtb world champs, Cairns, 1

yeah these pop up on the web every now and then, I think they are a rebadged topanga or response or something. All becasue DB sponsored the worlds in 96, they were giving out stickers for it flat out at the time.

I have one for sale its in ok condition needs some work. Its in Newcastle highest bidder gets it plus freight. Reply mickspik@gmail.com

T'boo Ted":23i9mbqs said:
yeah these pop up on the web every now and then, I think they are a rebadged topanga or response or something. All becasue DB sponsored the worlds in 96, they were giving out stickers for it flat out at the time.

I'd go along with this, not knowing the state of affairs in Aus. I say this as this is a lower end frame. The Axis of 96 had no canti hangers, and was TT Lite. I know the Apex was also TT Lite that year.

mickspik":1zg3g9qs said:
I have one for sale its in ok condition needs some work. Its in Newcastle highest bidder gets it plus freight. Reply mickspik@gmail.com

There's ebay for that fella so prob best to put a sales thread up with a fixed price as in the rules thread, or bugger off to ebay :roll: :roll:

By DB standards the frame isn't too bad. If the decal is correct the entire frame is Cromo, whereas their favourite trick on their lower end frames was to have Cromo in only the main tubes and be a little vague on the labelling. I wouldn't say no, although if its been ridden for any length of time with 30 feet of seat post sticking out like that then I don think of want that particular one.

Pyro Tim":32lezsdf said:
T'boo Ted":32lezsdf said:

I'd go along with this, not knowing the state of affairs in Aus. I say this as this is a lower end frame. The Axis of 96 had no canti hangers, and was TT Lite. I know the Apex was also TT Lite that year.

Actually, in 96, the Apex reverted to AVR. It was TT-Lite in 94, 95, and 97, but the 96 version used AVR tubing (as did 91, 92 and 93 MY Apex).

Back