spinergy wheels on retro

rocketboy2000

Devout Dirtbag
does anyone sport spinergy wheels on a retro bike?

its seems quite a challenge to find a nice set of hubs or even whole wheels of retro era. while i'm waiting i'm thinking of breaking down and buying a set of spinergy xcyclone's or something else modern.

my brodies rims are splitting and i'm still on it everyday so its getting rather dire.

would love to see some retro on spinergy or other moderns!

I've got a set of Spinergy Spox (first gen.) on a 2001 Schwinn Homegrown. I got them for about 60 bucks off ebay, but the rims were beyond truing (totally taco'd). Had to re-lace them on some NOS Bontrager Valiant ceramic that I had.
Huuge pain in the ass since I had to drill open the eyelets in order to be able to get the thicker Vectran spokes through but it worked. I also swapped out the heavy Ultegra free-hub body and axle for a XTR titanium one. The wheels are now about as light as a set of Crossmax. Took me quite a while to get those wheels done but I always loved the look of the Spinergy Spox wheels (the new ones are not quite as cool, no carbon fiber hub-shell that's the size of a beer can...) Another cool looking set of wheels from the retro era would be the Cane Creek Cronos (a little heavier but quite reliable, the first gen. Spox had quite a terrible reputation).

thanks for the info syncrosfan... I've not much knowledge of good wheelsets to look for or how to source either new or old.

I was thinking of a new set of spinergy xcyclones... not a lot of 26" rim brake stuff to look at these days? I mean, until I can get my hands on nice retro?

I just traded a set of brand news ones to a member on here, I like them and they look really cool :cool:

He is going to put them on one of those funky GT full suspension frames and I think they will suit it really well.

WD :D

i saw those WD and those got me thinking about them! were there any competing modern wheelsets that you researched that are worth looking at?

I really wanted crossmaxs but couldn't afford new and there were no good ones around second hand - I bought the spinergys and then got offered a set of crossmax I had just missed out on !

WD :D

I think the Xyclones will serve you well. They're fairly light and have much better reliability than the old Spinergy products. I don't know what's your price range, but it's certainly true that there aren't too many good rim brake wheel sets out there. You could always get some old school hubs and lace them on the new DT XR 425 rims (I've heard good things about those, kinda' pricey though). Otherwise look on e-bay if you can find a good set of the SPOX or Cane Creek Cronos or Crossmax.

Indeed it is hard to find a nice set of top retro wheels unless you build from scratch. I now have the xyclones from WD and I've also got a set of the crossmax wheels (modern) with ceramic rims and huge spokes, and they are nice. I picked them up from merlin cycles who used to have really good prices but imho not so much these days. I may be selling another set of xyclones I have with yellow spokes, but I'm having a build rejig before selling off anything as I will only find out I needed them days later, as seems to be the case at present.

Back