Wife build, Mongoos IBOC Team 1992 - Finished! pics on p3

IRIX

Retro Guru
Found a Mongoose IBOC pro frame with a triangular toptube.
Since the frames of the Pro and Team where the same, only components differ I am ok with making a team from a pro :)

Custom decals already designed and ready for print.
Frame will be striped and powder coated with a deep purple fading into dayglow pink.

Need to find a good fork for it, was thinking Rockshox Judy with pink legs?
Posting the decal set here and more pics to follow

Attachments

• IbocTeamDecals.png
    IbocTeamDecals.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Mongoose_IbocPro.jpg
    Mongoose_IbocPro.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,785
Re: Wife build, Mongoos IBOC Team 1992 - custom paint job

Frame has arrived from Belgium, Forks have arrived from UK, Cranks have arrived from the US, chainring bolts have arrived from Taiwan... This bike already has traveled more than I have...

Started stripping the frame with a shitty eco friendly (thank you EU) paint stripper
Also started rebuilding the NOS manitou 2´s, put in new elastomers but Im having some issues with it.

Seems like they are very slow on the rebound. Might be because I'm using the wrong lubrication? Im using a Lithium Based compound with the same consistency as the lube that was in them.

What I need to do now is to polish the frame to a mirror finish and then it will be powder coated in Candy transparent purple.
(http://www.powderbuythepound.com/CANDY_PURPLE/)

Attachments

• IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_0476.JPG
    IMG_0476.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,656

going to look great imho! nice studio too!

I think lithium based grease might eat elastomers. Be careful what you use on those forks. That's why I think we all pay so much for Pace and RS Judy Butter. I might be wrong though...

This is going to be pretty garish! Looking forward to seeing it finished. T..

Frame polished up and ready for the candy powder coat :)
(Candy colours either require a mirror polished metal or a reflective base coat, so there for the elbow grease)

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,497

Looks great! The only nit pick of mine is to chuck that bottom bracket. Cannot wait to see. Nice polish job. How did you do your polishing? What compound did you use?

yeah I will throw away that BB, the frame hasn't had bottle holder screws in it for a long time so water gathered up in the bb shell, corroding the BB unit.

I just used elbow grease and autosol. 600 grit sandpaper, then 800 grit, then autosol

Almost a shame to cover up that polished job with paint; but colour scheme is going to look damn good...

...deffo need to get that lithium grease off your fork internals! I use a quality waterproof Marine grease for everything and have no issues with it; a lot cheaper than Rockshox rubbish that is far from the 'fit and forget' that most riders treat it as, hence all the gummed up old forks we get to refurbish!

Back