Reasonable car tyres

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
We got an advisory when getting the last MOT on my wife's car for the tyres. Tread depths are all OK but the runner is starting to crack. I have a feeling they are the originals and the car's a V plate though it's only done 50k.

Where's a reasonable place to buy a full set of tyres? My company car has to go to Kwik Fit and they are terrible as well as being really expensive.

The car's a 1999 Renault Megane with 185/60 R15 88H on it.

Cheers, T..

Small local places are often better than the chains.
Ask the local cabbies where they go.
I get my tyres at tyres4u in Petersfield; Vredesteins fitted and balaanced for less than the price of just the tyres from Camskill/Mytyres/Pneus Online etc

I think it rather depends on where you want to be in the cheap no brand made somewhere like China v expensive branded made in europe range, once decided that can look at the comparison on internet, sometimes worth also seeing who's promoting what. I've always tended to go somewhere in middle with known brands made somewhere sensible, having had a tyre blow out in outside lane of motorway its something I would like to avoid where possible

Is there not a place near you that does "part worn" tyres?

Other than that, I've always found ATS Euromaster to be pretty reasonable on price in the past - haven't used Kwikfit for anything since they screwed up fitting an exhaust on a Metro I owned about 12 years ago (I had the thing back to them 3 times because it was still blowing before they finally worked out that they'd put the wrong pipe on there!)

I put Maxxis on my V Reg Clio from a local firm ..........strangely enough I have Maxxis clinchers on my Basso :D

Shaun

tyre choice should depend on the type of driving you do. no point in buying expensive performance tyres if it only gets used to go shopping etc.

Have a look on Blackcircles website. Not always the cheapest, but usually very competitive, and they have agreements with many local fitters so you can get them delivered there for fitting. Just after Christmas they came up trumps for 4 boots for my Transit.

camskill (but check what they send are exactly what you ordered)

If you've avoiding absolute budget try kumho's or Falkens.

Depends how long you are keeping the car.

I find Avons last well and have a deep tread for winter use, but for summer I like Pirellis although you pay for them.

Mind you there is a ton of variation between different tyres in the larger manufacturers' ranges.

Back