sept 1981 3 speed Raleigh bomber restoration

Drawn back here via a Twitter at the hint of a Bomber - I had one identical* to this!

What an awesome job - much respect :)

* Apart from the bent seatstay where I was taken out by a car on the way home from school. They're tougher than they look!

Wonderful job!

You should very proud - I hope you enjoyed restoring it!

FWIW you can sometimes pick up chrome 'dimples' for the fork crown on eBay, same for red bar end plugs which look nice (and OE)

Finally, you should get some better 'finished' pics done - well worth it when you've beaten it up all over again!

Al

thanks for the kind words all, much appreciated :D

good detail point on the dimples, they are still there but overspray in them, will sort that out with some thinners :cool:

darrenh":3e0f7cwl said:
thanks for the kind words all, much appreciated :D

good detail point on the dimples, they are still there but overspray in them, will sort that out with some thinners :cool:

they pop out pretty easily with careful use of a kitchen knife :cool:

Outstanding effort. Not done for money, or to follow the crowd, but for the simple satisfaction of it - the best reason ever.
How about internally modifying the lamps to accomodate modern LED lamps behind the orignal lenses - saves weight, battery life and somethin' a bit different. With a bit of rewiring you could even get them to work on the original switches.

thanks RadN, appreciate the comments. i was just reading that raleigh outland thread and thinking yikes, if his is "gas pipe" mine must be Victorian hand railings, i better keep my head down then lol

right you are on the lamps, i've had this bookmarked for a while but not purchased yet

N312 i think would be ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-LIGHT-BUL ... 3cd32cbe6e

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
darrenh":2hs2tls3 said:
if his is "gas pipe" mine must be Victorian hand railings, i better keep my head down then lol

On the contrary - hold your head high, Victorian hand railings, gates and fences were requisitioned by the MOD, melted down, turned into Lancasters and Spitfires and won us the war! ;)

Maybe that's why Raleigh called it the Bomber.. :shock:

I never like the Bomber, quit possibly out of sour grapes as by the time they were launched I was too big to ride one already, but that is a mighty fine resto job. cracking effort.

Back