£6k to blow on a car - 700 miles a week use

Fords, Mazda's (basically Fords and my last car was one), Vauxhals, and other cheaper cars are great for what they do. However, you hit the 100k miles point, and the seats are generally shot, and uncomfortable. My Seat is at that point, and the seats are still good, as are they in other higher end vehicles. That's where a lot of the differences show themselves.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ford make a wide range of vehicles.

There recent offerings are right up there in quality.

SEAT 'higher end'?

Confusing.

I think you are talking about Ford's lower end models from many moons ago. SEATs of ten years vintage hardly stack up to the VWs of that time.

unkleGsif":ye9z2k05 said:
If you are not TOO bothered about size ( :oops: ) but still a bit practical, then you would do well to consider a top spec Audi A2 1.4TDI

Well ahead of their time, 100% aluminium so not rust, frugal, bit different
Will be my next car when the Lupo gets a bit too long in the tooth

G

The A2 was designed by Luc Donckerwolke, who did the Murcielago too.

A2 is also all-aluminium, so shouldn't rot. Future classic.

J i m s t e r":3v059s4h said:
unkleGsif":3v059s4h said:
If you are not TOO bothered about size ( :oops: ) but still a bit practical, then you would do well to consider a top spec Audi A2 1.4TDI

Well ahead of their time, 100% aluminium so not rust, frugal, bit different
Will be my next car when the Lupo gets a bit too long in the tooth

G

The A2 was designed by Luc Donckerwolke, who did the Murcielago too.

A2 is also all-aluminium, so shouldn't rot. Future classic.

Bought my wife an A2 TDi last year and managed to find one with only 30k on the clock on an 04 plate. I can't fault it in anyway. It's used mainly for school and Sainsbury runs but still equally good for 4 adults due to the ergonomics in the rear seat area. Simple but ingenious.

Not a massive boot but I can get two bikes in the back with wheels removed and seats folded down. This one has the panoramic glass roof which didn't work when i bought it. Put it in to Audi for a cam belt service and whilst it was there they replaced the whole roof. All this under warranty as the Open Sky has a 15 year warranty.

Also bought the 90bhp model and given it's so light it is very very nippy indeed.

All in I can't fault £30 a year road tax and 60+ mpg.

If you are interested in one then there is a very active owner's club forum which has a classified section. Google A2OC.

Mark

Audi A2 the 90 bhp model - discs on the rear. Didn't know about the warranty on the roof - will look into it thank you

highlandsflyer":3g5jq2ph said:
I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

Ford make a wide range of vehicles.

There recent offerings are right up there in quality.

SEAT 'higher end'?

Confusing.

I think you are talking about Ford's lower end models from many moons ago. SEATs of ten years vintage hardly stack up to the VWs of that time.

My Seat is 9 years old. It is a mixture of VW and Audi parts. Audi seats in it, VW dash etc. They are the same build quality as VW and Audis, which are higher end compared to Ford. Same engines, chassis etc to the VW, Golf, Skoda too. Seat and Skoda are cheaper, because people don't realise this.

Theyre cheaper because a) theyre parts bin specials made from cast off VW group parts and often old generation platforms, and b) they aint made in Germany like the real thing.

with Skoda maybe, not got one of them, but the Seats are the same parts. Wife had same age Golf, and they the bits inside were the same, engines looked the same. The seats were not the same, but the same as my mates S3. Granted not made by Krauts, but not that bad. They also cost as much as an Audi new, just the 2nd hand market they are a fair bit cheaper

One of the joy's of beemer ownership is not having to question the lineage of the car your driving.

Is an Audi a Skoda, or a Skoda an Audi??

Back