1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 ( Updated AMP F1 content )

Nice bike. I had a 5.7 with RC35 suspension fork and it was a great bike for XC, unbelievably light to ride, much better than my Cinder Cone of the same era.

Made a mistake in selling it to a friend, a lifelong roadie, but he loves it so much I'll never get it back.

gerryattrick":2sr8jkpy said:
Nice bike. I had a 5.7 with RC35 suspension fork and it was a great bike for XC, unbelievably light to ride, much better than my Cinder Cone of the same era.

Made a mistake in selling it to a friend, a lifelong roadie, but he loves it so much I'll never get it back.

Yea the bike is not only light, but it also rides light as well. I have been on some lightweight bikes that still can feel kinda sluggish but this Alpina is a climber, it loves to climb which is why I took out the granny ring....I dont ever use it 36 front 28 rear is the lowest gear I have available. I probably will never sell this bike...love it too much. Any pics of your old bike?

I agree completely about the bike riding "light" and mine too is a great climber.

I'm liking your choice of fork and I've thought about finding a sus fork for mine but I don't think I can bring myself to change the colour matched rigid fork.

andyfloyd82":11fl1pmw said:
Yea the bike is not only light, but it also rides light as well. I have been on some lightweight bikes that still can feel kinda sluggish but this Alpina is a climber, it loves to climb which is why I took out the granny ring....I dont ever use it 36 front 28 rear is the lowest gear I have available. I probably will never sell this bike...love it too much. Any pics of your old bike?

Here is a pic of mine. Sold it with the original rigid fork on & kept this RC35 for my Clockwork project

:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 308
gerryattrick":1rqsewkq said:
andyfloyd82":1rqsewkq said:

Here is a pic of mine. Sold it with the original rigid fork on & kept this RC35 for my Clockwork project

:facepalm:

Ahhh, I really like yours. I am curious about the Pace forks....they look really nice and usually go for a REALLY NICE price too. Is the pace fork fairly plush for an old school fork? Looks like it has maybe 40mm of travel.

chrisv40":3dvjs80z said:
I agree completely about the bike riding "light" and mine too is a great climber.

I'm liking your choice of fork and I've thought about finding a sus fork for mine but I don't think I can bring myself to change the colour matched rigid fork.

The rigid fork still gives the best "feel" but the AMP does a good job of keeping the quick steering and also soaking up some of the bumps. One thing I love about the Univega is the aggressive geometry and I didnt want to upset that.

andyfloyd82":39o7ni3g said:
Ahhh, I really like yours. I am curious about the Pace forks....they look really nice and usually go for a REALLY NICE price too. Is the pace fork fairly plush for an old school fork? Looks like it has maybe 40mm of travel.

Very good fork, recently rebuilt by Tim at Fork English. Plush I'm not sure about - quite firm and barely 40mm travel, but great for light XC and they'll look good on my Clockwork project.

Back