Frankenbike. Woeful Brakes Aborted

Re: Frankenbike. It lives!

Suitably Gothic location. Inline adjusters and bridges have made brakes usable. Rides very long and high. 1.7 z max are light!

Mary Shelley would be proud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 123
Re: Frankenbike. Woeful Brakes but fast

As a bit of a benchmark have done the same ride three times this weekend, once on the Frankenmarin, then the Grisley and lastly the MF. After the canti bikes I realised just how good the XT Vs on the MF are. The Marin brakes re still awful but slow rather than stop. Tempting to explore linear converters for the v brakes.

Would changing the brand new pads on the new deore LX cantis for better make much difference?

Straddles much shorter than pics :facepalm:

Quickest time should've been on the Marin then? :LOL:

Yes, 8 miles, one 1000ft climb over a mile and a fun descent with a few very sharp 90 degree dusty corners. Marin on ritchey wcs 1.7, grisley conti vertical 2.3 on front and nanoraptor 2.1 rear, MF conti vapour 2.1s

Marin climbs and runs best and turns and stops worst. MF smoothest. Grisley lovely and sharp.

....removing the plastic spoke protector will increase the appeal of this bike no end. ;-)

Woz":2wg0q9o2 said:
....removing the plastic spoke protector will increase the appeal of this bike no end. ;-)
Are you serious? Say yes and it will be done first thing in the morning. :LOL:

Are you serious? Say yes and it will be done first thing in the morning.

My Marin had one of those, when I removed it, after it had been in place for many years, I could see that it had obviously been rattling about and rubbing on the spokes and slowly wearing it's way through them. So, not so much a spoke protector, more a very slow spoke saw. :D

The History Man":382h5x0w said:
mikee":382h5x0w said:
Looks quite good , keep an eye out for a limp dick or trials stem tho

WHAT? :LOL:

Your not much of a historyman if you dunno what I'm on about :D

mikee":fyw2siv0 said:
The History Man":fyw2siv0 said:
mikee":fyw2siv0 said:
Looks quite good , keep an eye out for a limp dick or trials stem tho

WHAT? :LOL:

Your not much of a historyman if you dunno what I'm on about :D

You ever stop learning! Would be too low given bar height as is. Not sure if I could replicate current stem angle.

The Marin still sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls under braking despite everything I've tried. Straddle height, bridges, levers, inline adjusters, cantis stuck out so far you could hang washing on them, prayers to The Lord etc. so, it is with great regret that I admit failure. It will be back to V brakes and flat bars today. XT thumbies will replace grip shifters as a consolation.

But spoke protector gone though :LOL:

It was an experiment after all................. Nothing ventured.

Back