old raleigh slow slow project/daily rider

well done. I think some are missing your point, yes there are better frames (there always is) but they are not the frames you want, this is. you obviously don't care about its not cromo but in your words its not to heavy, its relative isn't it, one said its a tank but not to you. I applaud you for sticking to your guns, I know exactly where you are coming from with the emotional attachment. Its not always about buying a lighter/newer/better specced bike, sometimes its just about having the right bike.
once again, well done fella.

thanks, im really stubborn when it comes to my bikes, if I like it, I don't care what anybody says, its mine and that's how itll be, if I wanted to ride a lighter frame/bike id hurry up and finish building my Carrera, right now this is the bike I want to ride, its perfect for me, just got a few things to get done and for me itll be 100% spot on, its very rare I get emotionally attached to things but this is one of those ones, ill never get rid, ill always love and try my best to take care of and its something I actually enjoy riding, I always get home with a smile on my face after a ride on this :)
need to get a few things done today, need to get new rear tyre and tube on, rear rack back on, sort out a issue im having with the seatpost sliding down here and there (very slowly) and find some rear callipers in the parts bin that I actually like + get my butt to work and buy some grips

Good for you fella, as the Retrobike banner states - If its old school Its in !
Many people on here believe its only a classic if its higher up a manufacturers pecking order.
I reckon if its old school and respected by its rider then its classic enough.
In the car world a good nick Ferarri or a Austin Alegro are both classic cars in the general scheme of things, why cant this be so for bikes.
Had both a Raleigh Alaska and Massif, both high tensile steel, both heavy, both handled better than some higher end kit I've ridden. There's more to a good old bike than the material and kit its equipped with. Keep riding that bike ;)

To clarify, I have no issue with cheap builds, most of mine are. I also have little aspirations for higher end models.

My point was just if this has no emotional attachment the poster should aim higher. He has since clarified he loves this particular model, its getting used (unlike half the bikes on here) so fair play. Good to see another memeber on here fixing old bikes and riding them.

all of my bikes get ridden and ridden properly lol, I cant stand a bike being a show piece,needs to be used, waiting to get paid then a ton of stuff will be getting done :)

i think i remember a few of these in the sheds at school in the late 80s early 1990s, when MTB craze kinda gained momentum over bmx. or maybe i dont if its a later model, i'm not au fait with the time line. i had a SIS raleigh mustang at the time with similar snake skin splatter paint type effect in red/black. Bit of low end every mans bike, sure, but i still thought it was the best thing since sliced bread

have you got any plans other than to ride and maintain?

darrenh":358kdywu said:
i think i remember a few of these in the sheds at school in the late 80s early 1990s, when MTB craze kinda gained momentum over bmx. or maybe i dont if its a later model, i'm not au fait with the time line. i had a SIS raleigh mustang at the time with similar snake skin splatter paint type effect in red/black. Bit of low end every mans bike, sure, but i still thought it was the best thing since sliced bread

have you got any plans other than to ride and maintain?

will be getting stripped down, painted and rebuilt with a few upgrades when I get another bike that's up to my commute (road, canal towpath and a bit of a trail, then across a old golfcourse then back onto road)
will be putting new wheels + tyres on for sure and may source some canti`s for it

I had a Raleigh pursuit (road bike) and that was far more fun to ride than my carbon/alloy modern road bike.

I would definitely get another! So fully respect you for your decisions!

Good of you, keep it going :D

found a replacement for the commute so work can begin on the Raleigh now, not a lot done today, wheels are off, deciding weather I should just clean the frame up as apart from the blue and yellow paint its in quite good nic, or if I should just respray it, got some bits on order, tomorrow ill be getting the pannier rack, gears and brakes off and depending on what I decide to do I might start sanding it down or cleaning it
pic of how far ive got so far stripping down and the replacement bike

Attachments

• 971558_10200478436185495_1696626800_n.jpg
    971558_10200478436185495_1696626800_n.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 1017491_10200478439465577_831063406_n.jpg
    1017491_10200478439465577_831063406_n.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 298
Raleighracer":1jo7r804 said:
I had a Raleigh pursuit (road bike) and that was far more fun to ride than my carbon/alloy modern road bike.

I would definitely get another! So fully respect you for your decisions!

Good of you, keep it going :D

had one myself but ive never been able to ride a road bike comfortably, never been able to set it up right I guess, maybe after ive finished the projects ive got now I might get one and use that for when I ride to Nuneaton every weekend (60 mile round trip) because its all roads and don't need a mtb to do it :)

Back