El Cheapo Runabouto WARNING: MODERNISH CONTENT!

isitafox

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well guys, I broke my ankle a few months back on the way to work in the snow (long story) and fancied a road bike to aid my recovery. A friend who lived over the fence from me had this he wanted to get rid of, in no way retro or a classic but it was cheap and unused, he paid about £200 for it and never rode it once so sold to me for the princely sum of 50 notes!
It weighs an absolute tonne and is definitely bottom of the range but more than fits the bill for me currently, I can't help buying bits though so I'm looking for a cheap pair of carbon forks and some 2nd hand wheels to swap over which will hopefully knock at least a couple of kilos off the weight. Depending on how much use it gets I may spend more and upgrade the brakes and drivetrain with a look to replacing the frame further down the line, anyway here's the pics including before and after shots with the awful stickers!

Attachments

• ropey.JPG
    ropey.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 889
  • stealthy.JPG
    stealthy.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 889
Re: El Cheapo Runabouto

Hi,

Well it looks great in all black. I bought a Coyote Big Sur as my 1st road bike. I agree with your plans and you will be amazed how heavy the fork is when you remove it! I believe it is all steel (both fork and steerer) and must weigh 2kg at least! I installed a full carbon fork, some full carbon clinchers, lighter crankset and the bike came in at about 8kg which isn't bad.

The frame actually is the best part of the bike and quite light, so if I were you, I'd keep it but swop everything else. I'm using the frame for a single speed build which is underway at the minute.

£50 is a good deal you did well!

N

Re: El Cheapo Runabouto

Well I've made my first mod to the bike, got a set of brand new carbon forks off a guy who'd bought them but the A-C was too short so sold em me cheap.
Fitted them with an ITM stem bung and they're great, the old forks did weigh a tonne so these have knocked a good 800g from the front end. Sadly the bottom bracket is creaking like mad now so due replacement, 'tis a very budget loose bearing one from what I can see so will be swapped along with the cheapo cranks asap.
After that I think it will be new brake calipers then eventually wheels and drivetrain.

Attachments

• New forks.JPG
    New forks.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 707
It's probably a Thun BB. I removed mine recently (well attempted to). Unfortunately the DS cup had seized and I cranked the BB tool too hard with a 2ft breaker bar and ate through the plastic cup.

Had to hammer it out and now I need the frame threads re tapped.

Let me know what BB you go for as I'm also in the market for a new one. I've stripped my frame and have started polishing it.

I used to assemble these - I hated them due to the look of utter disappointment on the new owners face when they rode it for the first time.

Does it still have its original brakes? If so, change them for any dual pivot design as the original brakes are simply inadequate

The chainset is very flexible too so that would be next on my hitlist (along with the BB)

yeah , its good fun weighing the before and after. in it ! finding bargains on ebay is great . a set of used wheels [bontrager] i reckon are next on the list
for my hack trek 1000 sl. the bontrager xxx are or were pro carbon, and im always on the scout for them.its surprising how cheap h bars stems even seat posts go for ,but i always seem to forget and get pipped by 98p [answer;'dont forget' 00naff]
ankles are a ba#st@d heres a tip... place a pen on the floor square to your body.keep your heel on the ground and raise your toes, lower your big toe to touch the floor to one side of the pen.raise and repeat to the otherside of the pen with your little toe,after awhile the pen is not required it is imaginary.its a good one ascan be done seated watching tv or at a desk and you can really feel it doing good !

legrandefromage":17j36xny said:
I used to assemble these - I hated them due to the look of utter disappointment on the new owners face when they rode it for the first time.

Does it still have its original brakes? If so, change them for any dual pivot design as the original brakes are simply inadequate

The chainset is very flexible too so that would be next on my hitlist (along with the BB)

Yeah the brakes were gonna be next on the list to go but the quality bottom bracket has died so I picked a set of cranks and an isis bb up off here the other day. Just needs a chainring before I fit though I've been given a 92 Giant Peloton in great condition so I might convert this to a cheap fixie instead now.

well,sounds like your on a journey towards a really, really fine steely! and when that day comes you will deffinately notice the difference .will it be reynolds? will it be italian ? or dutch even.. who knows ? safe ones

Back