Best new bike for £1000

J i m s t e r

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Got knocked off by a car 2 months ago, she pulled out as I was passing the front of her car and hit me on the cranks at 90 deg, numberplate first. Bang on.

The shop has written my bike off. I escaped with impact to my ankle and a broken collar bone. I need to replace my daily rider (it was a Rockrider 8XC Replica, composite frame) and they (Decathlon) don't offer this bike any more. They have the real 8XC but it's £600 more.

I have googled the usual mag reviews but RB'ers keep bikes for a while and will have, perhaps, the hindsight of long-term ownership.

I am after a lightweight hardtail with a good fork. It will be ridden 3-4 times a week in all weathers and locked at work in a cold bike store. No rock gardens. I might even clean it from time to time, but it will be dirty most days of the month :)

The Rockrider was 18 months old and was brilliant. It cost me £1000. I reckon her insurance will foot the bill at the end of the day. I've got a good solicitor.

What say you?

I think for insurance purposes, it'll have to be new from a shop with a proper receipt and everyfink, m'lud. And I've got too many bikes already to be getting 2-for-1 deals, alas.

Have a browse of Evans website for inspiration - they have a lot of 2012 stock at knockdown prices, so could land you something expensive for pocket money.

Alas, the b/w is this years model and the red/white is last years.

The search continues... Was at my lbs and he's a Merida dealer, says he might be able to source some NOS carbon work frames which would be nice.

I have a Boardman HT Pro. gets great reviews, and has a great spec, Rock Shox Reba, tapered head tube, X9 with FSA Comet, Elixer R brakes.

Was awesome to ride till i got a bit over confident and came off it, breaking my wrist. scratched the bars, brake levers, and rear mech, oh, and bent the gear hanger. Frame, Fork and Wheels were unharmed. The Missus kindly reminded me that I'm no longer 20'odd, and i promised to be more careful.

anyway it retails for £999 but I got mine from Halfords for £850.

Halfords

Boardman website

Back