1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 ( Updated AMP F1 content )

Re: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5

chrisv40":vvba838b said:
I think I'm the Chris something you are referring too :LOL:

I agree entirely with your opinions on the way these bikes ride and mine is also around the 23lb mark.

Great to see another one in the same colour scheme :)

YES !!! You are how I found this website. I was scouring the web for Alpina 5.5 info and I came across your thread. I felt really lucky to have found this bike and your posts regarding the Alpina made me feel validated in how much I like this bike. Its my go-to bike and I have about 10 bikes ranging from Steel road bikes, to rigid mtb's to hardtails and full suspension MTB's. I have toyed with the idea of putting on a front suspension fork but I dont want to mess with the geometry of this bike.

I've been looking at changing to sus forks for a while but never committed to it yet, a nice pair of Pace forks would good I think but I'm reluctant to add any weight to the bike.

The thumbies you are using are the older version for 6 speed but have the hidden 7th click just like the next dx had a hidden 8th click.

Sorry just noticed that your right shifter is indeed the newer Dx.

chrisv40":1b5bxjfu said:
I've been looking at changing to sus forks for a while but never committed to it yet, a nice pair of Pace forks would good I think but I'm reluctant to add any weight to the bike.

The thumbies you are using are the older version for 6 speed but have the hidden 7th click just like the next dx had a hidden 8th click.

Sorry just noticed that your right shifter is indeed the newer Dx.

Yea Left is a mt60 right is a mt62. I love the thumbies...I like the fact that the FD thumb shifter is friction so I can fine tune the drivetrain and the thumbies just work so well. I do want to add a SUS fork but it would have to be 60mm of travel and it would need to be a 1" steerer and that makes the selection pretty small. But like you I dont want to add weight because its so darn lightweight.

Re: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 ( Updated with new wheelset )

Got a new wheelset on the bike now. Found a Rolf Dolomite wheelset w/ red anodized rims that fit the bike perfectly. Now running a M737 NOS rear cassette, and also a black 46T Shimano SG chainring to go with the black/polished/red theme of the bike. With the Rolf wheels the bike is now under 23lbs and its coming in at 22.45 lbs. Going to pop some lightweight tubes on as well, and a different stem eventually. Trying to get the bike under 22lbs and then Ill be done with it.

pics.... Let me know how you guys and gals like it.

IMAG0685_zps5a6328c8.jpg

IMAG0686_zpsde1c0c15.jpg

IMAG0687_zps4c02f570.jpg

IMAG0688_zps019769a1.jpg

IMAG0691_zpsb5c52ea9.jpg

IMAG0692_zps4ecbcb67.jpg

Re: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 ( Updated AMP F1 content ) *LOOK

Put some new mods on the bike. I just love this frame, it climbs so well...its so fast, agile. So I wanted to keep it lightweight but put on a SUS fork so that I could ride it as a hardtail and make it more versitile. Found a AMP F1 from a Univega Alpina s6.7 and put it on mine. Got a Trek System 3 stem, FSA Orbit-x 1" threadless headset, and a Chopsaw 36T middle ring. Updated Specs List....

IMAG0803_zps6f89f44f.jpg

IMAG0804_zpsaab6b165.jpg

IMAG0805_zpsbc2e8657.jpg

IMAG0806_zps3b01d28a.jpg

IMAG0807_zpscbb121c4.jpg

IMAG0811_zpsf14d274d.jpg

IMAG0812_zps42aabef8.jpg

Frame: Univega 969 Racelite Cromoly

Fork: AMP F1 w/ 4130 Concept Legs

Headset: FSA Orbit-x Polished 1" ahead
Stem: T System 3 4130 Cro-moly
Handlebar: Univega Concept Alloy 580mm
Grips: Bontrager Inform RL
Barends: None

Brakes: Shimano STX Cantilever
Brake Pads: Dia-Compe
Brake Cables: Shimano M system
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano

Shifters: DX Thmbies MT62
Front Derailleur: Shimano STX Top Pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M737 Short Cage w/ Red Jockey pulley
Derailleur Cables: Shimano M system
Cassette: Shimano XT M737 11-28T
Chain: KMC X8 Nickel Plated
Cranks: Deore DX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: 46T Black Ano Shimano SG/ 36T Red Ano Chopsaw
Chainring bolts: Shimano chrome plated
Bottom Bracket: Stock Shimano UN Type
Pedals: Wellgo WR-1 Silver

Hub Skewers: Salsa Flip Off Ti
Rims: Rolf Dolomite Red Ano 20H front/24H rear
Hubs: Rolf Sealed bearing
Nipples: Rolf
Spokes: DT Double Butted
Tyres: Michelin Green WildGripper Sprint
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Ritchey Vector Wing
Seatpost: 26.0mm Univega Concept Alloy
Seatpost Binder: Concept

Weight: 23.1 lbs

Rode it out on some trails and its not as plush as my 100mm fork on my 2011 hardtail, its actually really stiff...stiffer than I expected it to be. The fork doesnt soak up as much as a typical fork but it does smooth out the ride and it still feels like a rigid bike for the most part, I think thats how the AMP fork is designed to work...feel rigid and provide just enough travel to even everything out.

you might want to try a lighter weight spring and/or perhaps use lighter oil in the shock. as much as i LOVE amp forks, i wouldn't have considering swapping them for the original colour matched fork.

RockiMtn":1tcf7r5r said:
you might want to try a lighter weight spring and/or perhaps use lighter oil in the shock. as much as i LOVE amp forks, i wouldn't have considering swapping them for the original colour matched fork.

Well the AMP fork was 2.4lbs and my stock fork was 1.9lbs so it didnt add much weight to the bike and I ride a lot of XC and singletrack and the AMP fork does well in that regard. I may try a lighter spring, and also the oil. The fork after the ride seems to have softened up a little bit. I think it was sitting for some time since it had been ridden maybe it was a little bit stiff.

al-onestare":1zt7cfj0 said:
Nice bike - chain looks a bit short even considering it's on the big ring.

It is a bit short. I had it on a triple before and short cage rear mech was not picking up the slack in the granny ring. Now I removed the granny and probably need to add a couple links back in. Good eye

Back