Could I benefit from a few extra inches?

A first for this forum. Somebody figured out how to get the question of whether size matters into a topic! I'm sure that I don't want to know if you could "benefit". Kind of a personal question, but let's defer to the female respondents...

Ladies? :facepalm:

fluroforks":2au8kqnz said:
It looks like this ones staying with me then, I should have asked the question - how in gods name do you choose which bikes to sell?

Put all the bikes in a big pile. After 3 months, it'll be clear from the order of the pile which ones get used most, and the ones that dont get used can go bye-bye

size is a weird thing. My marin is a 17" in Marin Size so probably about 18.5" and thats the right size for me (I'm 5'10) yet my Giant is a 20.5" and I can ride that just as comfortably.

I dont go any bigger than that though as I hate the 'seat against the top tube' look. it has to have a decent amount of seatpost on show ;)

Thanks for the response everyone, I don't know what you think I might have been referring to other than frame sizing though. Could you explain further how a ladies opinion might benefit this thread? :roll:

The pile o' bike method can't work as some do get used less frequently than others but still have important jobs to do.

Still, Ill keep this one particularly as no one has suggested how I could benefit from getting a taller seat tube frame and im sure the reach is spot on for me. Apparently the amount of post I have on show is socially acceptable too! If this is staying then I can start building those HED wheels putting more XTR on it - let the wallet emptying commence! :D

I used to race a 15.5" Rockhopper Comp BITD, never worried me then and I usually ride an 18" frame. In fact it was very light and agile.

Carl.

fluroforks":r1xjhmg8 said:
The pile o' bike method can't work as some do get used less frequently than others but still have important jobs to do.

Im going use this phrase on the wife the next time my bike pile comes up as an issue - cheers!

RobMac":3u8s1wkm said:
fluroforks":3u8s1wkm said:
I just noticed that some people are very picky about frame sizes when buying bikes

No not picky just getting a bike that fits them properly.

Or just plain dumb
Bought a bike on ebay, local to me. '98 Marin 21" Excellent, just my sdize :D
Turned out to be 17"
I took it anyway as it was cheap and all original and it was some comfort that the seller who was a large built 6'6" must have looked a proper plonker riding about on it

Is it running it's original cranks though? A smaller frame will have 170mm (or maybe even shorter) cranks but a guy your height would generally use 175mm.

Back