Raleigh headset replacement

GoldSpanner

Dirt Disciple
I've got a raleigh richmond frame which I'm using for a build.

I want to replace the headset so I can use a non-raleigh fork and stem.

Anyone know if I can do this? And if so, some suggestions for a new headset would be good!

Also could do with some tips for removing the pressed on cups.

Cheers

Alex

Raleigh Richmond used a standard 24tpi thread as far as I'm aware. My 27" one certainly is. It is a Worksop coded model, so if your serial number starts with a 'W' it should take non-Raligh bottom bracket and headset. Give it to a bike shop to smack the cups off if you don't have the right kit is my humble advice.

Just curious as to why you want to change the forks?

Tange headsets usually have a good price / performance ratio :)

Shaun

the chrome on the stock headset is all pitted and has some rusting, plus I don't like the stem that came on the bike, nor the forks a whole lot, so I figure I'll replace them all.

Yellow_Peril":3hdoe9h2 said:
Raleigh Richmond used a standard 24tpi thread as far as I'm aware. My 27" one certainly is. It is a Worksop coded model, so if your serial number starts with a 'W' it should take non-Raligh bottom bracket and headset.

So would I be right in thinking that as long as I took the cups off, any standard 1" headset would fit it. It certainly isn't the new larger size.

Yes a standard 1" headset would fit the Richmond a treat.

Now I am going to get hung by the purists for my next piece of advice but what the hey :LOL: :LOL: To remove the cups from the frame I use a flat headed punch, but an old fat head screwdriver with a long shaft (Oooer missus :LOL: ) will do the job. Just slide it gently down the inside face of the headtube until it contacts the top of the inside collar of the cup, and give it a good sharp tap, with a good size hammer repeat on either side until it pops out ;) Job done :D

As to the replacement headset depends on what you want and like Tange Passage headsets on Ebay look like great value, BBB do an alloy, sealed bearing one for a reasonable price, and I bought a nice Miche one, aero style and needle bearings for £23 from Wiggle last year :D

Ha! I tried the screwdriver method, but it must be in there pretty darn tight, or it's seized or something. Luckily there's a LBS about 20 metres from my front door :D

As for the replacements, the Tanges look good, and i'll check the others out!

Sounds like the LBS is the best bet then ;) You have to remember those cups were put in by a machine press about 30 odd years ago so might be pretty tight :LOL:

:D

When I was mending bikes (1950-60's) we just cut a piece from the top tube of a scrap frame, never failed. The bit of tube could be moved round as the cup moved. For most cycle work light rapid hammering had a better effect than brute force.
Keith

Back