Is Retro faster?

ultrazenith":3vjil532 said:
Interesting. So the added weight of modern 26ers doesn't make all that much difference, after all. Is the difference in speed down to the decent suspension forks?

That, plus with tubeless technology you can safely run much less pressure in your tires. In my racing day I was comfortable only with 40-42psi. Now without tubes, if I have anything over 20lbs on my modern 26" hardtail I feel like I'm getting the crap beat of me.

ultrazenith":11eaf3k5 said:
jimo746":11eaf3k5 said:
In the real world a modern bike is indeed quicker than a retro bike over the same course.

Interesting. So the added weight of modern 26ers doesn't make all that much difference, after all. Is the difference in speed down to the decent suspension forks?

Have you seen how light a modern 26" bike is?

I have modern bikes with disc brakes and full suspension that weigh less than the rigid, canti braked retro bikes that sit next to them in my garage.

It really depends on the application and the price point.

£500 will not buy you anything new that will match up to a £500 1997 s/hand bike, if you are looking for a light xc machine. Bar the original forks, everything else on the 97 bike should be much higher quality.

Russell":nggthvoe said:
Have you seen how light a modern 26" bike is?

I have modern bikes with disc brakes and full suspension that weigh less than the rigid, canti braked retro bikes that sit next to them in my garage.

From browsing my local shop, and reading the odd review, I gather that a rigid 26" at a price point of 1000 pounds weighs in at about 13 kg (29 lb). Initially I was surprised, but I guess the long travel forks add a kg or so, and the additional cost of the forks means the other components need to be cheaper. It's possible I was looking at 29ers by mistake, perhaps :oops:

My rigid 96 Diamond Back Apex weighs roughly 11 kg, without having made much effort to use the lightest parts (hope hub aside). I guess weight isn't all that important anyway, and riders / speccers have figured that out after the 90s weight weenie madness. What different does an extra kg make to a 75 kg rider+bike combo? 1-2% difference in total weight.

I remember how much 'faster' I could go in 1993 when I bought a Zaskar to replace the then rather old fashioned, yet only two years old, lugged steel 531 Magnum Claud Butler and what a revelation it all was.

I just dont get that same feeling when out on a new high end MTB, something is missing and I dont know what it is.

Road bikes, different ball game, they are just mental and I love it.

highlandsflyer":2xxyj6lk said:
It really depends on the application and the price point.

£500 will not buy you anything new that will match up to a £500 1997 s/hand bike, if you are looking for a light xc machine. Bar the original forks, everything else on the 97 bike should be much higher quality.

£500 bikes are monkey metal and cheese, all the bells an whistles to look good but perform badly

£1000 would put you together a super spec Ti 'retro' machine with modern forks.

"£500 bikes are monkey metal and cheese, all the bells an whistles to look good but perform badly"

Concur 100% LGF, yet £500 will buy you an excellent lightweight 'retro' xc steed.

Yeah I remember getting my Ti / Alu / cromo M Trax 400 in 1994 after years of riding a Raleigh Marauder, it was a quantum leap and a half. My MTB buddies were literally queuing up to take it for a spin around the block.

Going off topic for a moment, which suspension forks are thought to work well with mid 90s hardtail frames? Forgetting about keeping the period look.

Depends on the design of the frame, but guessing you would be talking less than four inches of travel generally for that era, so any Fox Float with around the same travel 100/80/60mm would work well.

highlandsflyer":1gw9c0mn said:
Depends on the design of the frame, but guessing you would be talking less than four inches of travel generally for that era, so any Fox Float with around the same travel 100/80mm would work well.

Might a Dynatech / M Trax bonded Ti frame. Essentially, I don't want to rip the head tube off!

Back