what to do with a dull scratched frame?

Jezmellors

Old School Hero
Hello guys

I'm tarting up a '93 KHS montana pro and the frame is very dull and scratched with lots of rust, I'm going to treat the rust but I don't want to strip it and either powder coat or paint, I'd like to keep it as it is but protect it and get it more shiny.

Looking for suggestions really, what do you guys normally do? Some sort of clear shiny lacquer? I'd like a cheap option if possible.

Thanks for looking

Jez

If you are looking for real cheap and easy.....

De-grease and clean the frame all over with washing up liquid and warm water, a sponge scourer from under the sink will suffice. rinse thoroughly with plenty of water.

Once totally dry apply clear lacquer(rattle can) available from motorists' shops/DIY etc... follow steps on can and that should be that. the existing paintwork will be even duller and will help provide a key for lacquer to adhere to.

This will cover up more imperfections than you think and help get more riding out of your bike knowing it will stand up to weather/mud better. This will set you back less than a tenner. Of course, before the pro's step in, this isn't a process intended to be bullet proof or conform with xyz of the paintwork ideology. but, it does work on a budget ;) Just make sure you scrub frame well as left over greasy spots will show in lacquer as icing sugar.

cheers.

Hey Marc,
thanks for the reply. I've used the rattle cans before and had ok results, i'm not the best and achieved some runs and the finish was somewhat matt in appearance but it was a budget range and maybe i shouda spent more. I had this in mind and will probably do it in the absence of any better suggestions.

I wondered about taking the frame to a car spray painter and getting them to give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Car paint chips awfully easily. I would clean it up and give it a really good waxing, which protects really well.
It is hard to believe, but if you wash your bike with Pantene, the silicone in it also acts as a corrosion inhibitor. A friend who is a jeweler uses it for silver and also his Ducati 916...

Hey Hamster,
good tips, what kind of wax are you talking about? car wax polish? also, bald as a snooker ball over here so i don't know anything about Pantene but i'll get some and give it a try.

Thanks

Nudge me about this on tonights ride Jez but basically, what Marc said.

I have my own little additions such as internal treatment with Kurust and cleaning of threads etc.

Jezmellors":28o9i0qg said:
Hey Hamster,
good tips, what kind of wax are you talking about? car wax polish? also, bald as a snooker ball over here so i don't know anything about Pantene but i'll get some and give it a try.

Thanks

Yes, a decent car polish like Mer or similar.

Back